It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro Essential Question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Good morning,

I am a newbie to sharpening and was referred to your site by a member of bladeforums. I am looking to get a good knife sharpening system that is close to idiot proof and will last me a long time. I initially was looking at other cheaper systems but then was directed to your website where I came across the Edge Pro. It is more expensive than the other systems but it appears to be much better quality, more versatile and will last much longer.

Anyways, sorry for my long winded intro. I have some questions about the Essential Set you offer. Would the stones included in that set be enough for reprofiling edges (ie. my kitchen knives have been severely neglected) as well as merely touching up edges? I would be sharpening kitchen knives as well as my folding knives so would there be a better option you sell or other stones that would be better to use or add to that set? I don't have the time to spend hours sharpening but I want to do it correctly to keep my knives sharp and functional but also have them last a relatively long time.

If you have any other recommendations or suggestions for someone who is new to sharpening please let me know. I understand that free hand sharpening is recommended by a lot of people as the best route to go but after watching some videos and doing some reading, the Edge Pro appears to be my best option. Like I said, I don't have a lot of free time so I would like to make the most of that time and I think I would be better served by getting a guided system as opposed to learning how to do it free hand.

Thank you for your time and any assistance you can provide.

Iain

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro Essential Question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Lain,

Yes I put this set together as a base set that will satisfy most people. I think it's a really good starting set. If you do a lot of reprofiling and heavy grinding work you may want to consider an atoma 140 plate to add to this set but the 500 grit shapton will work for lighter amounts of heavy work. It just takes a little more time.

If you lived down the street from me I could teach you to free hand sharpen in 5 minutes so I don't know if that's the best arguement for getting an edge pro. The edge pro can usually produce better edges than a begginer free hand sharpener since there is less chance of wobbling on the stone which is one of the key problems free hand sharpeners make when learning. Either way is fine and both are fun.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro Essential Question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:29 pm 

Mark,
Thank you for the quick response. I know this is in the Edge Pro section of the forums so I apologize for going off topic.

If I were to try my hand at free hand sharpening, what would you recommend as a good starting set of items needed (stones, holder, flattening stone, etc...)? Something that is comprehensive enough to get some dull kitchen knives sharpened and then keep them there but also not breaking the bank for a beginner.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Iain

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]