It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestions on new edge pro stones
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm 

I currently own the following for the edge pro:
DMT Diasharp c/xc
220 Edge Pro
400 Edge Pro
1000 Edge Pro
8000 Shapton Glass

I am looking to add 1-2 stones. I am also open to strops and paste if that is something that would fit into my current setup. I have been doing a few free hand stroked on my bare leather strop after the 8k Shapton. I do own Bark Rivers Black and green compound but haven't used them after the 8 for fear that they might mess the polished edge up.
I do not want a Chosera stones because my 5k cracked.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions on new edge pro stones
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm 

joepa150 wrote:I currently own the following for the edge pro:
DMT Diasharp c/xc
220 Edge Pro
400 Edge Pro
1000 Edge Pro
8000 Shapton Glass

I am looking to add 1-2 stones. I am also open to strops and paste if that is something that would fit into my current setup. I have been doing a few free hand stroked on my bare leather strop after the 8k Shapton. I do own Bark Rivers Black and green compound but haven't used them after the 8 for fear that they might mess the polished edge up.

If you want to go economy I would stick a 600 ep in either cs-hd or orange edm after the 400 ep,and a 6k Arashiyama after the 1000 ep.Some BC on balsa would add a nice toothy edge after the 8k shapton.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 pm 

Lucian Broadcloak wrote:
joepa150 wrote:I currently own the following for the edge pro:
DMT Diasharp c/xc
220 Edge Pro
400 Edge Pro
1000 Edge Pro
8000 Shapton Glass

If you want to go economy I would stick a 600 ep in either cs-hd or orange edm after the 400 ep,and a 6k Arashiyama after the 1000 ep.Some BC on balsa would add a nice toothy edge after the 8k shapton.

I am sorry but i am not following you. Are you saying to stick in a 600 ep, cs-hd, or a orange edm? What is a cs-hd and orange edm?

Also what would throwing in a 600 ep do for me?
What would the BC do that Bark rivers compounds on balsa wouldn't do?

Sorry for all the questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:19 am 
Forum Moderator

is a chart containing comparisons for various grit rating systems.

So your 1k EP stone is about a 2k Japanese stone. So if you wanted to add one stone a 4k stone would fit nicely between the stones you have before the 8k. Or a 5k would be OK too.

If you are looking for a stone in this range, my favorites depending on the steels you sharpen would include the Nubatama Bamboo 4k or 5k, The Shapton Glass 4k, Shapton 5k pro and the S Rika 5k, listed in my personal order of preference. I'm excluding the Chocera 5k Superstone 5k and Nubatama Ume 4k since you don't care for the Chocera 5k and these are of similar composition. The Nubatama 4k and 5k will give you the best feedback, the 5k pro the least feedback, the 4k Glass some feedback, and the S Rika feedback somewhat close to the Nubatama 4k and not as good as the 5k Nubatama, my favorite (but out of stock at the moment - a victim of it's own success, which is why I list the 4k Bamboo in first place).

The 8k Glassstone is capable of yielding a very precise geometry, so it is easy to go a bit higher for a strop compound. The 8k stone is about a 2 micron grit. So for a strop I'd suggest a 0.75 micron CBN compound, which is a 24,000 grit edge. This is perfect for bringing your edge easily to another level past 8k and still aggressive enough to be used for touchups. It is a 3x jump (8k * 3 = 24k). You will get your best edge with this compound on Kangaroo, but balsa or bovine leather is adequate. The results you get with this will far exceed using the Bark River Compounds, which are lower grits and less finely graded.

Hope this helps.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 pm 

Thank you Ken123 for the info. Awesome information. I will probably go with the 4k bamboo or the Shapton 4k glass. The 0.75 CBN compound sounds great also. Would you do the 0.75 CBN over say a Shapton Glass 16k? I do llike having a finer stropping compound because I just bought a convex edge knife that I have been using my strops to sharpen/maintain.

Also can't I buy balsa at a hobby store for a few dollars?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 pm 

I bought a 1/4" x 1" x 36" piece of balsa at a hobby shop for $1.40. That will make a bunch of strops.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:09 am 
Forum Moderator

it's a hard question. I have both 16k glass and .75 and several other stones in this range. I've used all the strop compounds as well as all the natural and synthetic stones mentioned in the 15k range. I use the .75 after the 16k glass. You could skip the 16k from an 8 or 10k stone - or go up to the 16k stone level. I vary my technique here. I like using the .75 CBN as a touchup strop, especially when I don't care to get out the stones. even moreso on a convex edge.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]