It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What stones should I get for my Edge Pro?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Recommended Stones for EdgePro Apex for use on home kitchen 8-10" Friedrich Dick chef's knives that we mostly use to cut fruits and vegetables.

I got an EdgePro Apex without stones, at an estate sale, that I am eager to try out on my kitchen knives.

The into video on the EdgePro site suggest creating an 18 degree angle with a 220 stone and finishing with 320 or 600 grit stones for kitchen use and then using a 1200 grit ceramic rod hone to finish the edge

Sounds like there are many opinions about the best stones to invest in and since your site has alternatives to EdgePro brand I am looking for advice for this noobies EdgePro user.

I welcome guidance for the stones that will best serve my needs

All the best

Jamey

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What stones should I get for my Edge Pro?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jamey,

There are a bunch of good options that we carry. I like the Shapton Glass stones. You could do the 320, 1K and 4K and that is pretty much all you need to get started and those stones will give you a quick and excellent edge.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html

I like the Shapton Glass stones because they're quick cutters, splash and go and pretty thick so they're easy to use and will last a long time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:50 pm 

Mark

Thank you for posting my question and your suggestions (above)

Q1. Need I get a diamond plate to level the Shaptons or could I get by leveling with a drywall sanding sheet?

Q2. Any need for a 1200 grit Ceramic rod with the shaptons you have suggested above as a final step or to touch up?

Q3. What else do you suggest I get? ...Felt debur or just use a cork or debur with edge pro?

Thicker stones require measuring the angle differently than the stock edge pro... iPhone has a angle measuring device that will likely serve my needs to recalibrate guide-bar using thicker stones.

1: You can flatten with a wide variety of items. The cheap way is 120 wet dry sandpaper. I've heard people use drywall screen too but I've never tried that one.

2: The rod is not necessary but some like to use a rod for maintaining the edge. I usually strop my knives. Either way works.

3: All three are perfectly acceptable ways to deburr your knife. With the edge pro I often deburr with the unit instead of using the felt block but I've done both.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:22 pm 

Thicker stones require measuring the angle differently than the stock edge pro... iPhone has a angle measuring device that will likely serve my needs to recalibrate guide-bar using thicker stones.

check out http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html for an easy way to adjust for stone thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 pm 

Thank you for the suggestion of the drill stop collar...

If I only use Shaptons will the different grit Shaptons wear enough over time that I will need to use the clever drill stop collar method?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:49 pm 

Jamey,

I would suggest you get the stock EP stones first and practice a little to get the method down on sharpening. The stock stones are cheaper and you will be able to still get a great edge with them. Once you confirm you like sharpening and want to explore a little then upgrade your stones. Also, if you get some knives with less than impressive steel then you have the EP stock stones if you do not want to use your Shapton Glass sones. Invariably your friends will want you to sharpen their knives and the steel they have will not by M390 or ZPP-189, but rather some cheap chinese steel.

The drill stop collar is a good idea no matter what stones you chose to use. The EP stock, Choseras, or Shaptons could come with varying thicknesses as you receive them and the drill stop collar would help in keeping a consistent angle. I also like the angle cube that is sold at this site.

The EP system is a great system that now has an enormous flexibility with all of the products that Mark offers here. There is no comparison to the quality and variety of different products now available for the EP system for you to try.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:10 am 
Forum Moderator

Good all round comment.

The drill stop collar & angle cube is a MUST.

Start off right - get the Glass stones as Mark suggested above - then you will be ready to take on most steels......

:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Mark

Thank you for posting my question and your suggestions (above)

Q1. Need I get a diamond plate to level the Shaptons or could I get by leveling with a drywall sanding sheet?

Q2. Any need for a 1200 grit Ceramic rod with the shaptons you have suggested above as a final step or to touch up?

Q3. What else do you suggest I get? ...Felt debur or just use a cork or debur with edge pro?

1: You can flatten with a wide variety of items. The cheap way is 120 wet dry sandpaper. I've heard people use drywall screen too but I've never tried that one.

2: The rod is not necessary but some like to use a rod for maintaining the edge. I usually strop my knives. Either way works.

3: All three are perfectly acceptable ways to deburr your knife. With the edge pro I often deburr with the unit instead of using the felt block but I've done both.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 pm 

Thank you for the prompt replies

I have heard that some strop with cardboard, or leather or leather with oil or leather with a paste or rouge....

Suggested strop for use with 8-10" kitchen knives? plain, oil, paste rouge?

And any guidance or videos to share on the strop topic?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm 

My last part of my set of Shapton Glass stones arrived yesterday. I can't tell you how pleased I am with them. I got 320, 1k, 2k, 6k, and 16k glass stones and it's a super set up. The new stones did a great job on the new Artifex that came in the same box.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next