It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Pots & Pans
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:09 am 

Was wondering what people's home setups are for pots and pans. Several years ago I converted to all cast iron and carbon steel. Got a couple old made in the usa stainless pots for boiling water and what not.

I roll with the lodge 10", 12", 15" cast iron pans. Lodge 12 inch carbon steel pan. Paderno Heavy Duty Carbon Steel 10" pan. 16" carbon steel wok w/ flat bottom. Had some more but gave them away to friends who hadn't had the pleasure of cast iron and carbon steel.

Post subject: Re: Pots & Pans
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 pm 

What a fun question. I have a love affair with my post and pans, and would need a wide-angle lens to take a group shot.

While I have accumulated a lot, please know that my collection dates back decades. I have also worked for places that sell pots and pans, so that explains some of the excess.

I have cast iron, carbon steel, tinned copper, copper with stainless interior, stainless-aluminum clad cookware, enamel-covered cast iron... I grab things depending on the purpose.

I love cast iron, and have a couple of basic Lodge skillets. Used one this week for roasting a chicken. I particularly love carbon steel, and I wish more people would give it a try--especially the skillets. I have DeBuyer skillets and a DeBuyer chef's pan (not the blue steel of the crepe pan but the basic carbon steel). I cannot say enough good things about them. They make for the perfect combination--the searing capabilities of cast iron combined with a glass-like nonstick surface when properly seasoned. They turn black over time--the ugly ducklings of a kitchen. But boy do they work--so responsive, and such lovely results.

Sometimes, though, basic cast iron is not the best choice. The material is reactive, and will have an effect on acidic ingredients. If a recipe calls for non-reactive cookware, move on to the next choice.

For slow braising or when I need a non-reactive pan I love my enamel covered cast iron. Started with Le Creuset and in the past decade have been migrating to Staub. Great choice for dutch ovens. A sentimental favorite--Staub got me a snail finial that I swapped out for the standard knob on a gray oval dutch oven. Now I have an escargot on my pot!

For stainless/aluminum clad pieces, I am a particular fan of the 7-ply Demeyere. Their skillets are awesome--very even cooking, no hot spots, lovely.

I reach for copper when I need great conductivity--especially when working with something fragile and quick-cooking like fish. Most of my copper pieces are old tin-lined ones, made for me over a period of years in a garage workshop by a now-retired friend in France (who gave up his Air France job and went to copper school), with my initials hammered into the sides. They have particular emotional value. Saute pans, oval and round gratin pans, and a funky piece on legs meant to stand in a fireplace. I have one newer stainless-lined copper gratin pan. Some argue that a little conductivity is lost when transitioning from tin to stainless linings, but I do appreciate the worry-free aspects. No worry about melting tin in a moment of inattention...

I should stop here :)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:22 pm 

I normally dislike the celebrity branded stuff, but I'm also on a cook salary, so when my sister gave me two Emeril saute pans, I couldn't say no. I have an 8" nonstick and and 12" stainless and they are surprisingly nice. I have a handful of other pans that are mostly cheap hand-me-downs. I also have a Cuisinart 6" nonstick that lost the coating; when I tried to call in the lifetime guarantee the guy on the line made it clear they would find fault with my brutal heating it. Silly me, thinking it would stand up to moderate stress. All of my pots fall into the hand-me-down category as well, though it does include two truly massive aluminum pots for the absolute best of NC cuisine, the lowcountry seafood boil. A few restaurant supply metal half sheet and deep third and half pans do the oven duties. The standard 5qt Cuisinart mixes things for me. Most of my stove cooking takes place on a butane burner I picked up online; induction coils can boil water and not much else. I also have a cheapo Target toaster that does nothing but toast bread and a very decent Hamilon Beach toaster oven.

At work, we use mostly cheap aluminum saute pans and very, *very* nice clad pots in Southbend ovens and on Vulcan ranges. I think my boss has some sort of deal with Southbend to test equipment in volume because we get new equipment way too often.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:22 pm 

There is an old thread on this. :)

pots-and-pans-t5344.html

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:37 pm 

I love my cast iron pans. Most of which I have used for over 25 years, and inherited from grandma and mom, these pans are so well seasoned that they work better than non stick. Even bake bread regularly in my Dutch oven.

Also use several enameled cast iron pans for roasting, have a set of good copper, stainless, and several good carbon steel woks.

Over the last 4 or 5 years, where I decided to up my game, on cooking, I have tried a number of different pots and pans, must say over all my cast irons are my favorite. They are heavy especially the 12" skillet, can't imagine how heavy that 15" skillet is:)
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:23 am 

mckemaus wrote:There is an old thread on this. :)

pots-and-pans-t5344.html

You are absolutely right. I am a little to "young" here to remember that one. A lovely thread--perhaps an administrator can move this new thread into the older one.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:02 pm 

Damn I forgot I do have an anodized calaphon 14 inch for heavy acid type things. And a 12 inch emeril pan too. Think it's like 14 years old. I use it a lot whenever I have to smash something. I make gluten free tortilla shells and use that pan as a press.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:53 pm 

Here is my post from the other thread:
"Well if this thread gains some momentum, I can definitely add some expertise. I could easily stock an entire commercial kitchen with my collection.
Primarily I use Calphalon One anodized aluminum cookware. I have both non stick finish, and regular anodized. I have just about every piece they made.
11” Square Griddle, 12QT stock pot w lid, 10" International Griddle , 11” Chefs Skillet,4 1/2 Qt. Sauce Pan ,3 ½ Qt. Sauce Pan ,12” fry pan, 10 inch fry pan, 3 QT Chefs Pan 8” fry pan 10” omelette pan, 4 QT Casserole Pan,1 ½ Qt. saucepan, 8 Qt. Stock Pot w insert, 6 ½ Qt Stock Pot w insert 3 Qt. Shallow Sauce Pan 2 Qt Saute Pan 7 QT Sauteuse, 2 ½ QT Sauce Pan, 1 1/2 qt. sauce pan, ¾ QT Sauce Pan Calphalon Unison 3 QT Saute Pan
I also own an All Clad LTD anodized 3 QT saute pan with stainless lining. And an All Clad non stick round griddle pan in stainless.
Stainless steel is a lousy heat conductor which might explain why I seldom use the All Clad.
My favorite pans are my 4 De Buyer mineral iron pans. These have to be seasoned like cast iron pans, once seasoned they are pretty much non stick. They are wonderful for searing meats. I also use them exclusively for saute mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Fabulous!
Cast Iron, and Enameled Cast Iron. These are indispensable as well. I have a few Le Creuset pieces, a large skillet, a Marmatout, small Dutch oven, hot chocolate pan, "sjunny" grill pan with folding handle.
Also have a 3.5 qt Lodge, a 5.5 quart Calphalon, and a 7 quart Uniware enameled cast iron Dutch ovens.
And let's not forget good old regular cast iron cookware!
Fry pans:#3 Griswold,#5 Lodge,#7 Erie,#9 Erie,#10 Lodge,#10 Lodge Lid,#12 Erie,and a 5 1/2 qt. Griswold Dutch Oven
I am a big fan of Emile Henry cookware. I use the Flame series which can be used on the stove top or in the oven.
I have a couple of smaller dutch ovens, a small griddle, and their new 14 inch pizza stone, best pizza stone I have ever used.
And last, but certainly not least are my French hammered copper pans:
Baumalu 11 inch fry pan ,Baumalu 8 inch sauce pan,Baumalu 1 Qt sauce pan,Baumalu 2 Qt sauce pan,Baumalu Large Windsor Pan Baumalu Small Windsor Pan Baumalu gravy pan
This is most but not all of it.
Years ago when I first started collecting, I had a Calphalon 3 qt saute pan and the non stick finish started flaking off. I sent it back to Calphalon and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. I then promptly sold it at a yard sale, as I had already upgraded my collection to Calphalon One. I have never had to send any of my Calphalon One pieces back.
I just hope I never have problems with any Le Creuset pieces, because their customer service is horrible.
If anybody has any cookware related questions I can and would be happy to answer questions.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:35 am 

home cook here.

i use a 7 qt lodge enameled dutch oven, lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet, lodge 10 inch carbon steel skillet and 14 inch carbon steel wok.

i would love to own some pots from les creuset one day.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:33 am 

I never bought the lodge enameled since its from China. How are they? If I need something non reactive I use this 6qt ceramic pot I got in this little village in Italy for like 8 Euro or something so absurdly low where I should have bought a dozen but couldn't fit them in my luggage.

I usually that for my tomato sauce type things. Just had to soak it for 24 hours in water when I first got. I try to give it a nice soak once a year. Or if you going to use it for inside the oven.

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next