It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Walleye cheeks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 am 

I have a pound of them. What do?

Post subject: Re: Walleye cheeks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:19 am 

Send them to me ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:05 am 

Haaaaah...no!

Since this thread is adjacent to one for ceviche you know what I'm thinking. But freshwater or anadromous fish suffer parasites far more than those from saltwater. Still, they are frozen...

Maybe half in tempura batter and half ceviche. Or I should put my creativity cap on. Walleye cheeks Rockefeller?

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 pm 

I don't know anything about walleye, but yeah, I'd worry about parasites unless it was deep frozen at some point. My understanding/vague memory of a food safety class years and years ago is that deep freezing is pretty effective against any harmful bugs that might hide in food.

What are the most traditional things you can do with it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 pm 

Tempura sounds like a good choice. Throw together a nice sharp slaw and you have a heck of a meal. Did you catch the walleye yourself?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:15 pm 

I think the whole parasites thing is a bit over blown. I have fished many lakes for many different fish. I have caught walleye from lakes that are super warm and never seen anything on them. I have caught trout from super warm lakes and have seen masses of bugs growing in their gills and on their skin. The trout freaked me out, so i did a ton of research, talked to CO's, other fishermen, industry folks, fish counters etc, and the general consensus was that the bugs are not as big of a deal as many people make it out to be. Just cook them properly.

I'm not saying that all fish is safe, but that i suspect a lot of the hype about parasites is just that... Hype.

As for walleye cheeks, i always just fry them in butter, with salt pepper, maybe some garlic and batter. They always turn out fantastic and i have never gotten sick.

Hope that helps, enjoy :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:09 pm 

Lepus < > I wish I had caught them. Haven't caught a walleye in over 30 years. (But that last one was kver 8 lbs.) Ordered them on the web at the same time I got 5 lbs walleye fillets and 5 lbs yellow perch.

Dubya < > I only worried about parasites when considering ceviche from freshwater fish. Whenever i have eaten pirarucu or other Amazon fish it was usually cooked to death for that reason. The simple pan fry does sound good.

Cheers,

Rick

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]