It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Brunch
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:23 am 

We had a late start today, so I got to make brunch and decided to do...

Chicken and waffles. Scratch waffles based off my pancake recipe (not quite sweet enough), strawberries from my CSA box macerated in honey and cointreau, and pan fried chicken breast, all drizzled with more honey.

For afters, something I had done the night before...

Everyone told Melampus they were going to mimic his sorbet. I did. I couldn't find good passion fruit, but I could find blood orange and pomegranate juice. Added white wine and swapped in more strawberries. I've gotten them three weeks in a row, I still have a full container. My little home machine was almost but not quite up to the task, I suspect because of the lower freezing point because of the alcohol, but after churning the texture was almost there and some time in the freezer gave me a great sorbet. While I was cooking I realized I didn't have a sorbet sized scoop, so I got to scoop it with a soup spoon, hence one looking good, one looking like mud people food, and both being oversized for my ceramic spoons. There's nothing like reaching for a tool you have at work (shallow small bowls, smaller scoops) and remembering you don't have quite the same operating budget.

Post subject: Re: Brunch
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 am 
Forum Moderator

I'll have some....looks really yummie!

Thx for sharing.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 am 

The secret to good waffles is yeast and to proof the mix to let co2 develop...don't over work it and carefully pour into good old fashioned hot cast iron waffle iron...

Waffle orgasms are entirely a textural thing...Lots of people say they hate waffles because they haven't had a good risen batter waffle.

But try a yeast recipe you'll love it :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 am 
Forum Moderator

...or at the very least, a sodium bicarbonate leavened recipe, with whipped egg whites for loft.

LEPUS <> I'm sorta bummed you couldn't find any passionfruit to scrape; it really rounds the finish. Glad you got to play around regardless! Improvise, overcome, adapt!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 am 

That's a sound idea Melampus...I guess I'm a big fan of anything yeasty, preferably beer but in waffles I think good old fashioned redstar makes a good batter...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 am 

I wouldn't say waffle orgasm, but mine were light and as crisp as my wedding present waffle iron will likely let it get. I think my limiting factor in texture is probably there. I use baking powder to leaven my griddlecakes, pancakes, waffles, etc, but if you can come up with some Herold Mcgee-ese to steer me to yeast, I'll give it a shot. I just don't like babysitting the little guys when I don't have to. My other consideration was whipping the egg whites for that extra fluffy kick. Or I might just leave them be, they were very tasty. I'm uncertain.

The flavor was likewise good, but again wasn't quite sweet enough on its own. I think it's because I normally add chocolate chips or fruit to my pancakes, which I didn't consider. The syrup brought it up to par, but it's unchefly of me to require the addition of a sauce to complete a baked element. Eggos are good with enough syrup.

Also, thankfully for the sorbet fruit selection, my wife is lactose intolerant and it's getting hot out, so I'll be making a passion fruit edition soon for comparison. There's an Asian market way across town that I'll have to try, maybe see if I can't score some dragon fruit, too, though I don't know when it comes into season. I knew I had two clamshells of strawberries in the fridge, so I didn't let passionfruit become one of my twelve labors.

Note: Was considering this when Melampus mentioned using baking powder and whipping the whites. To confirm: Did use baking powder, did not whip the whites.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:37 pm 

Looks amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 pm 

I think I need to join a running forum too because that looks amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

LEPUS <> Bit of a divergence, but why not... such is my way.

FIRST:
Ok... so I had generically said sodium bicarbonate, typically known as Baking Soda, because I often use buttermilk in my batters... sometimes yogurt. These are chemical leavens in their own right, and as they are quite acidic, using Baking Powder as the sole leavening agent can leave behind a chemical-like finish on the palette as the chemical reaction in efforts to induce CO2 production will be incomplete... or rather will leave behind acid salts. Monocalcium Phosphate, typically known as Baking Powder (also has a little sodium bicarbonate mixed in), is what your recipe called for apparently, and that you find your waffle to not be as sweet as you'd like might be because of the science I'm explaining. For shits & giggles, try this. Split your baking powder dose in half, and then add 50% of that as soda (e.g., 2T powder becomes 1T powder + 1/2T soda). I recommend this ratio anytime you are working with acidic batters.

SECOND:
Have you tasted Dragon Fruit? I find it quite bland. Yeah... a little Kiwi, a little apple/pear, but a very delicate footprint, for sure. It's worth trying alone as it is so delicate, but a little help might not be a bad idea. Maybe just that... a little kiwi.. a little apple. Maybe an aromatic herb... fresh tarragon is screaming at me. I have found the interestingly crisp yet supple texture works AWESOME in concert with Granita. Here's a simple Blood Orange Granita on Dragonfruit.

The icy grains sort of disperse in the dragon fruit as you masticate... it's really interesting. Granita is another good prospect to use the Dragonfruit... there is a synergy with the texture.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:34 pm 

Brunch looks great Lepus, very nicely done.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next