It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Menudo Rojo
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:58 am 

Crossposting from another forum. No pics because you want me to do all this -and- take pics?

This stuff has legendary hangover-curing properties. Personally I think people just feel better after eating it knowing they didn't do all this themselves. >_>

Menudo rojo:

Stage 1

1 kg beef foot (veal works just as well)
2 kg mixed menudo (for the uninitiated, this is cow stomach; since cows have four stomachs, there's obviously four different types, all with their own names)
1 large onion, quartered
1/2 head of garlic, peeled
every lime on the planet (OK it's only about 8 limes but still)

Holy crap this is a lot of work.

First you have to wash the meat, individually rubbing down the pieces under running water; then you rub each piece with a halved lime, so you get lime juice on all the surface, then you rinse it off. You have to do this even if it's "clean" from the packer. Now slice the meat into small pieces (sharpen your knife beforehand, this is tough meat) and score the beef foot, breaking it down into smaller pieces where possible. Now put everything in your slow cooker, cover with water, and salt -lightly-. Set the cooker to low and leave that alone until the beef foot has pretty much all turned to jelly and the meat is very tender. 12 hours is a good start.

Note: This has a strong and objectionable smell while cooking and I suggest you do this outside if at all possible.

Stage 2:

250g tomatillo (some use tomato)
80g dried chiles; I used ancho, but guajillo and puya (a sort of small, hot guajillo) are permissible
1l boiling water

Seed and toast the chiles as customary, put them in a saucepan with the tomatillos on top, cover everything with hot water, put that on the fire and let it boil for a couple minutes, then turn off the heat, and leave everything alone until it cool. Put the chiles, tomatillos and water in the blender and blend until it's a smooth liquid.

Stage 3:

the stuff you made in Stage 1
the stuff you made in Stage 2
1/2 kg cooked hominy corn (pozole) (I like frozen; canned is OK and making from dry is, haven't I worked enough on this damn dish?)
black pepper
oregano
hot water

Separate the meat from the broth from your Stage 1 and allow it to cool until you can easily handle it; return the broth to the slow cooker and keep warm or it'll turn to solid jelly on a coolish day. Pick out the quartered onion, garlic (if it hasn't dissolved completely) and the beef foot. Pick the meat off the beef foot and put it back with the menudo, discarding the bones. Mix the puree you made in Stage 2 into the broth, add hot water to make about 4 liters total, if necessary, add black pepper and oregano to taste, and correct the salt. Go easy on all these. Put the meat back into the broth, add the hominy corn, reheat, cool and refrigerate overnight.

Serve hot, with quartered limes, diced onion, oregano and either a very hot salsa, pureed roasted chiles or just diced fresh chiles on the side, for those who need an extra kick.

Post subject: Re: Menudo Rojo
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:41 pm 

Dakki wrote: No pics because you want me to do all this -and- take pics?

YES

Post subject: Re: Menudo Rojo
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 pm 

I'll take some next time and email them to you, since nobody else here seems to like Mexican tripe stew :P

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]