It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Food & Knife Portfolio / Blog / Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 pm 

Decided I wanted to be more active on this forum, I'm not sure how many users really have their own blogs or diaries on this forum but I decided creating an outlet for my kitchen experiences, shenanigans, adventures...anything to do with the culinary world.

So I suppose introductions are in order, I have no idea how actively I'll keep this topic updated though.

I'm Brian, I'm 22 years old with just a little less than a year's experience in food service; I'm aware that makes me far less experienced then people my age in the industry since most start much younger so I have some catching up to do...nothing a little hard work and dedication won't fix. I think my abilities are developing at a decent pace. I found this forum via Mr. Knife Fanatic's Youtube channel.

Right now I work two jobs, one as a Asst. Pastry Chef & Roundsman at a fine dining French restaurant, and my other job [that I just started] as a Line Cook at a Bar/Grill. So I'm gaining some good experience in both pastry work and line cooking, the contrast between the two establishments is certainly interesting as well.

There's a lot I'd like to say and this post isn't quite as eloquent or structured as I'm used to making but I CBA, I'm just typing what comes to mind right now.

Anyway, I started taking pictures of my work; here's my first and only [haha] pic.

Baked Alaska, surrounded by Creme Anglaise and Black Cherries w/ Juice ["Au Jus" :lol: ]

More to come later, hopefully.

Post subject: Re: Food & Knife Portfolio / Blog / Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:54 pm 

Welcome to the world of foodservice.
After doing this professionally for 35 years I've come to learn a few things, FWIW:

Respect is life.
The Chico rule: Don't judge someone to early.
Learn to compromise.
Never stop learning.
Pace yourself if you want longevity.
Keep a good credit rating.
Find a mentor.
Walk the walk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:03 pm 

Mentor is one of the big ones.
They can help you decide next moves, or even to bounce food ideas off of.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:03 am 

I'm in a very similar situation, but being 18 years young I'm almost a little bit stuck.

Respect is life. I try to be utmost respectful at work.
The Chico rule: Don't judge someone to early. It's hard but going with respect I'd say I'm a good boy :D
Learn to compromise. In the process of this, I prefer to innovate versus compromise.
Never stop learning. I sure as hell hope I don't stop learning.
Pace yourself if you want longevity. This I'm having trouble with, I really hope I don't burn out.
Keep a good credit rating. Like I said, I'm a good boy ;)
Find a mentor. This is the hardest thing to do for my age, no reputable restaurant wants to give a "kid" a chance
Walk the walk.Not just yet ;)

The main thing for me is I feel I've already wasted time staying at an establishment for this long. In my previous posts I've mentioned how awful the food is. But I know finishing highschool is of most importance ATM.

I feel like I need to land a good job soon, otherwise I'll be left in the dust. I know I'm young and shouldn't rush things, but what should I look for when seeking a job with a mentor?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 am 

Don't sweat it. I stumbled upon my mentor after 10 years of BS. You don't look for them, they just kinda happen if you have your act together.

As far as the respect thing previously mentioned, yes you have to show a certain amount of respect for your co-workers but the respect I'm talking about is the kind where you almost walk on water because you're so bad ass. By bad ass I mean someone others can count on when the chips are down. Anyone who has been pulled out of the weeds by a brother knows exactly what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 am 

Saltydog wrote:Don't sweat it. I stumbled upon my mentor after 10 years of BS. You don't look for them, they just kinda happen if you have your act together.

As far as the respect thing previously mentioned, yes you have to show a certain amount of respect for your co-workers but the respect I'm talking about is the kind where you almost walk on water because you're so bad ass. By bad ass I mean someone others can count on when the chips are down. Anyone who has been pulled out of the weeds by a brother knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I see what you mean now.

It's a little hard to earn that camaraderie where I work, but one day I hope I get to work in a place where you can call the guy on the station next to you "brother"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:12 am 

Oh man, I don't think I could do it otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:28 am 

I really can't, it's wearing on me quite a bit. I'm itching to get out of here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:43 am 
Forum Moderator

MERLIN <> Welcome to the world of foodservice.
After doing this professionally for 24 years I've come to learn a few things:

GET OUT WHILE YOU HAVE THE CHANCE. YOU'RE ONLY 22!

THERE IS NOT EVEN A SHRED OF LEVITY IN MY SUGGESTION.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:36 pm 

A very good point.

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next