It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chili Time!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, it's Game Dinner time of the year! I have a Game Dinner tomorrow evening for a fishing website I am on called CTFisherman.com Each year we do a Game Dinner and the proceeds go to the Dept of the Environment and earmarked for Take A Kid Fishing and other such projects. Everyone brings a big dish, usually with some sort of Game or Fish, and we donate raffle prizes and have a great time as a big group of 150+ people. So I decided to do a BIG batch of Chili! 6# of ground Venison, 2.25# of ground hamburg, 2# of ground sausage, 1# of diced bacon, 8 onions, 4 peppers, 1 big knob of garlic (like 10-12 cloves), 2 bottles of Sam Adams Boston Lager beer, 4 lg cans of diced tomatoes, 8 fresh diced tomatoes and 4 lg cans of Kidney beans. Then chili powder, red pepper, cumin, marjoram, oregano, parsley, etc.

Render onto the Bacon that which is BACON!!! Yeah, I love bacon :) Garlic is in there, too...kept it on a lower heat to get the fat out of the bacon before I added the onions:

Rough dice on 8 onions, snuck a shot of the new Tanaka R2 240mm in there, still debating on the handle:

Onions added:

I let that sweat down for a while and then added the meat. 10# is a LOT of ground meat, I got out a second smaller pot and put some in there just to speed things along. Once the meat was browned, I added in the 4 chunked Orange, Red, Green and Yellow peppers. Diced tomatoes also went in before the peppers, forgot to take a pic:

Everyone is in the pot and cooking down!

Got some sour cream, cheese and nacho's waiting...hope I don't eat it all tonight before the Game Dinner tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: Chili Time!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:40 pm 

Nice!

Chili is one of my favorites. First, I loved it as a kid so there is a nostalgia element to it. Second, it tastes great on its own, on pasta, with bread, in frito pie, etc, etc. Third, keeps well. Fourth, and this is a funny one, I have learned to make chili out of about five different leftover meals, so its a green meal, recycling! Last time I made chili I started laughing, while we were eating, at how much went into it, my wife asked what's so funny, I challenged her to guess how many meals went into the chili. And last, but first in my heart, requires a lot of veggie prep :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:14 pm 

That is some gorgeous looking chili. Thanks for the photo. It reminds me to make myself a batch real soon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:08 am 

I know what you mean about wanting to dig in . Looks good. Think how good it will be though after 24 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:15 am 

Love me some chili, looks great Tim!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:23 am 
Forum Moderator

I want some please....

Looks super good.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:43 pm 

For how bloody cold it is up here in canada land I would love some chili. I like how you choose a variety of ground meats.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Still working my way thru the left overs! LOL. Chili with cheese and sour cream as a dip for nacho's one meal, 2 meals of chili cheese dogs :)

And that is a 16 qt stock pot in the pics :) We let it boil down for 4 hours, and then scooped off the excess water (4 cans of large diced tomatoes, 8 fresh tomatoes and 2 Sam Adams leaves a lot of extra moisture) and added in some tomato sauce, tomato paste and molasses to make it thicker. Original recipe called for Kahlua, but I tried the beer as an experiment. We needed the thicker/sweeter Kahlua, so we added in the molasses. The extra liquid served as a base for a beef stew the next day :) One way to make some nice stew stock!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:34 pm 

Chili, but where are the chiles? A pot that big surely deserves at least a cup of freshly diced jalapenos & serranos. Throw in a handful of habaneros :twisted: for that nice CT weather and get some work done in the shed :mrgreen:!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:11 am 

I never thought to put bacon in Chili. It's genius.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next