It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flying with knives from NY to Europe?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:09 pm 

Dear chefs,

My aunt is going to NY in a month and I was thinking about asking her to bring me a couple of knives from CKTG.
She called me today saying that her friend told her not to do it because in the airport they would hassle her about it and open her bag.
Any experienced user have done this before and can advise me on this please?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Santiago.

Post subject: Re: Flying with knives from NY to Europe?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:59 pm 

You should wait for other responses from people who actually travel with knife bags, but I can say that I've traveled internationally with knives in my checked luggage and I have not had a problem. You cannot, of course, transport the knives in carry-on luggage. Case in point, I traveled with a 210mm chef's knife in my checked baggage and no one mentioned a thing, but on the same flight I forgot about a small swiss army knife in my carry-on and it was a serious problem.

I'm sure professional chefs have more tips to offer, so be patient for a better response!

Post subject: Re: Flying with knives from NY to Europe?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

CARLOS <> I fly way TOO OFTEN, and always try to ship my knives & stones ahead of my journey as TSA will invariably repackage your items poorly. I meticulously bubble-wrap & strategically place my tools interspersed throughout my clothing to cushion them further, but my bags are never returned as they were submitted... and they have been inspected EVERY time. In fact, I just got back from NYC a couple weeks ago, and they cracked a corner off my 8k Kitayama. :evil: Not happy bout that, but it's to be expected sooner or later.

I have flown to France from the USA with knives, and Customs is no different than TSA... just another set of hands going through your bags & opening the knife boxes.. and they will.

It all comes down to if you're willing to ship them through mail with a claimed value under $50 for savings at customs on your side, or if you don't mind them being handled by TSA & Customs in your Mother's baggage.

If it's just knives, I'd package them safely in her checked baggage, but shipping them as parcels in adequate bubble wrap is preferred.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]