It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Show off your board!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:08 pm 

I know you have 'em, post them! Those beautiful cutting boards of yours. Let's have a thread dedicated.

Here's my WalMart special end grain. $24 USD. 3 months old. Time will tell how well it holds up!

Don't forget those wooden counter tops, either!! ;)

GO!

Post subject: Re: Show off your board!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Jones Cutting Board in Walnut with Cherry accents. 12x18x1.5"

download/file.php?id=538&mode=view

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:40 am 

My baby! 18" x 24" Maple BoardSmith board.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 pm 

Steve—is that a Kikuichi Warikomi Damascus?? I didn't know you owned one of those...?!?

My primary boardsmith—very hard to get good pictures of it. These two pictures at least give some impression despite the high ISO (both with 240mm Konos). It is hard to get the color because it is so dark and nuanced in its combination of red, purple, cherry, and black, but appears quite washed out in bright light (hence the camera trouble). Still, neither picture does it justice.

I would have never bought mahogany from the boardsmith had BDL not praised his own time and time again, so thank you, BDL. Second boardsmith mahogany – which looks quite different – is at my ladyfriend's, so no current pictures. :( I think the boardsmith has decided not to use mahogany as a primary wood any more, which is a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Joe, yes that's a Yo Kikuichi Warikomi. They're great knives with very good performance and a solid feel and no, that's not mine. That's one of the perks from doing the videos - I get to try out some of the knives :-)

BTW, those knives are on the expensive side, but they FEEL expensive once you get one in your hands. As you know, this is something that's usually hard to articulate but easy to experience in person.

Nice board!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:06 pm 

Thanks, Steve, and thanks for the follow-up!

I nearly bought one of those Kikuichis a few years back. I've held them before and hit them against things in a store, but never took them to food. I remain really impressed with them, but I guess I've been more impressed by some others knives in the meantime. :) I do love the look and feel of them, though—and I'm not usually one for that style of bling. To me, they aren't all that expensive given that they – as you say – have the look and feel of something that is not only top-notch, but will last a lifetime. I particularly love how hard they feel despite the san mai. I've come to realize that I really, STRONGLY prefer harder treatments of stainless san-mai; the difference, for example, between the stainless finish on a Kikuichi and that of a Takamura (or a much more expensive Nubatama) is huge to me. While all are comparably very thin knives, the first feels very responsive, hard, with tons of feedback, and the others feel soft, scratch like crazy, have unpredictable flex, and don't wear nearly as well with use. Not that one is inherently superior...I'm just trying to point out my preferences!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:39 pm 

Wow that mahogany board is sick. I've never seen one before. Does it require a lot of extra care?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:33 pm 

Thanks, Chezi. No extra care. It has gotten darker and darker with various oilings. I'm not sure of the actual hardness (some mahogany can be very hard), but I absolutely trust that the Boardsmith only used mahogany that was soft enough for good knives (he's very specific about his recommended hardness ranges for other woods, so I can only assume that he limits himself to mahogany varieties that fit within this range). For this reason, I might hesitate to seek out a mahogany board from elsewhere unless I knew the specific hardness.

The other board I have is much newer, and much lighter, although I can tell it will age similarly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:19 pm 

Here is my biggest board, Ugglan och Eggen (translates to "the Owl and the Edge" as in cutting edge) smoaked oak, 52 x 40 x 7 cm (approx 20.5 x 15.75 x 2.75 inches). It's rather heavy, but I only use it for veggies which makes it easier to clean up. Just oiled and buttered it up today so I took some pictures along with a Masakage Shimo Gyuto 240 for size reference: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 am 

Nice boards folks... guess I will need a bigger one in the future too, after I went out all crazy and snatched up one of the few remaining 270 Konosuke W#2 kiritsuke-shaped gyutos. Going to find the right one will be a bit of the challenge, because height is an issue for me. Couldn't work comfortably on limpets board, since I'm not a tall guy...found that out the hard way. We have a bunch of inexpensive cutting board -ranging from small to medium sized- that are all not taller than 3-4cm and a "fancy" 7cm tall square end-grain chopping block my mother bought quite a while ago, back in the early days of the Jamie Oliver hype here in Europe. The only thing we cut on it is bread, due to the fact that it doesn't fit in any drawer and thus sits on the cooking island right in front of the block with the serrated bread knife in it. Trying to work with tall knifes or using the rock chopping technique on it isn't much fun for both my mother (1,66m) and myself (1,68m). The one person who's tall enough to work comfortable on it, is the one who doesn't do any dinner prep (except cutting fruits for breakfast).

So I guess the ideal board I'm looking for will most likely have the following dimensions: 50x38x3cm... which means it's big enough for the Konosuke, but still small enough to fit into the IKEA drawers that are build into the cooking island.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next