It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The addiction
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:23 am 

Hi everyone,

A lurker decided to join today. I thought I'd share my knives. There's not much coverage on Miyabi.

Here we have a Miyabi 8" 5000DP Gyuto, Miyabi 8" 6000MCT Gyuto, & 7" 6000MCT Santoku.

These knives aren't given a chance by many. I realize they're categorized with Shun and Global ( :roll: ). Underrated in my experiences.

I'm hoping to snag a Birchwood Gyuto in 6" amongst some others. There's many on CKTO I'd like to own one day.

Post subject: Re: The addiction
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 am 

I agree with you mate I think Miyabi are underrated by most. Although I wouldn't put shun (shun fanboy) and global together either.
I haven't tried any of the ones you've got but at a local cook shop when they had the a cook come in who was representing Henkle I got to try the 5000MCD Gyutoh Knife 24cm and I think it was the 600S Santoku, both very beautiful and great performing knives.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:05 pm 

Cheers Mark!

I had the pleasure of using a ~21CM (8") 5000MCD Gyuto. The Birchwood handle is sexy and so light in the hand. The knife has a perfect balance point because of it. Of course it performs top notch too. I find mine are slightly handle heavy, but not in a bad way. They balance right in front of the pinch grip (depending on hand size, a larger hand might find them a better balance).

I don't think I've seen a 600S. I believe I tried a 600D though, and they're a sharp blade!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:47 pm 

I certainly place Miyabi higher on my list than Shun or Global. They're still pretty commercial, but there's something to be said for their attention to fit and finish.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

No matter what the knives, the important thing is that you enjoy using them and that they get the job done for you. The fit & finish on those is certainly very, very nice :-).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:11 am 

Agreed Lepus!

& very well said Steve. :)

I wasn't satisfied with my first photo shoot lighting, so did a rerun after work. Still getting a hang of these phone pictures.

The 5000DP gets the most action right now. It's a softer steel at 60HRC and so far performs great.

I'm soon going for some Chosera stones (400/1000/5000) and a sink bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:21 am 

Those Miyabi are beautiful knives. Shun does nothing if not make a gorgeous knife.

The stock response on the forum regarding Shun pertains to whether or not they are worth the coin, but they are not crap. Globals do not enjoy that esteem here :D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:49 am 

At the very least Shun proves to people how bad those Calphalon knives are that they bought at BB&B. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:20 am 

Thanks for the comments guys.

I don't want you to misinterpret my original post. I like Shun products. Very similar to the Miyabi line as far as design and handles. I just find the edges are sometimes brittle. Though they're priced high, so are Miyabi. I understand the general response is about what's the best bang for the buck, which makes sense.

Dare I say that a couple Global knives are exceptable to me. I don't mind their standard paring knife - being 3" and 1/3 the price of a Miyabi 5000DP. I'd also use their 6" chef. Though I don't own any.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13 am 

Don't worry moss, where not going to put you in the stockade for liking a Shun, now the Global though...... :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next