It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Proud Daddy- Kanehiro 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:07 am 

So I received that very special USPS package today and was very happy to see that Mark and Susan were cool enough to put their 'signature' on a Japanese package :D

This thing...is a sexy beast.

Post subject: Re: Proud Daddy- Kanehiro 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 pm 

Very beautiful. Make sure to let us know what you think when you have used it a little!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:50 pm 

Very nice. I have a question for you that I actually posted in the other thread where you put up photos of your 240 and new 270. Here's the question:

"What is it like using the 240 vs 270? I've always used shorter knives, around 180-210, and wonder about the length of a 270 compared to its use as a maybe all-around knife. I have a Yuki 240 Gyuto that I really like but am still getting used to its size."

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:11 am 

Totoro wrote:Very nice. I have a question for you that I actually posted in the other thread where you put up photos of your 240 and new 270. Here's the question:

"What is it like using the 240 vs 270? I've always used shorter knives, around 180-210, and wonder about the length of a 270 compared to its use as a maybe all-around knife. I have a Yuki 240 Gyuto that I really like but am still getting used to its size."

Thanks!

Well, I put the Kanehiro today through a full day of prep and dinner service where I did about 150 covers in 2 hours and I have to say it has certain advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages: Cuts very VERY well, has substantial blade weight to make clean draw cuts for proteins and the Aogami core is ridiculously aggressive.
Disadvantages: Having used the Kono 240, this isn't a laser per se. It has a bit of heft and weight-wise is about 2-3 times heavier than the kono. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.
I didnt have issues working on the line with the bigger suji as I use a butcher's pouch at work, partially because I carve to order at the spit and grill station.

The clearest observation to me was that, I actually had knuckle clearance on the bigger suji. On the smaller suji, you would fly through prep as manoeuvrability is one of its key traits. The kanehiro not so much. I find that 240 is a very good working size and unless you intend to be working with massive cuts of everything, a 240 is more than enough as a go-to/all-round/workhorse/general purpose knife for a home and/or pro kitchen. After having played around with these lengths, I actually find the shorter knives really fun to prep with as your hand is so accustomed to being wrapped around a bigger blade, the smaller knives just go flying the moment you touch them.

Lastly, if you intend to use a Gyuto/Suji combo, then go for the 270 suji. To me, there's no point (function-wise) to have a 240gyuto and a slicer of the same length- assuming both cut very well and you aren't purchasing a slicer simply because you wanna see 'glossy meat finish' on the cut side of the steak that you've just pulled of the grill.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:31 pm 

Sherski - thanks for the info and the recommendation. Still thinking on this but I'm inclined to not get a 270 suji at this point. I'm still getting used to the 240 gyuto, which often feels very large at first.

Thanks again - Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:59 pm 

Comfort with any knife length is strictly about practice. In culinary school, we used a 10 inch chef knife, so my Japanese knives sometimes felt a hair short for some cutting techniques. But as I have become more practiced even the shorter "home" knives, 8" or 210mm, feel more accessible to me now. The Wusthof slicer I used prior to owning a sujihiki is, likewise, a good bit longer than 270mm, but in my experience the effect in terms of cutting technique of a longer slicer is not so notable and far preferable if you're trying to do prep with it, which I admit I rarely do. A 270mm knife needs a lot of room and isn't required for the majority of food prep. It's nice to have, but I only really notice how nice when I'm carving very large sides of beef or the like. Even in a pro setting where I carve such things frequently I think I'd be comfortable with a 240mm sujihiki 70% of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:57 pm 

Lepus - thanks much for your comments, it reinforces my thinking.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]