So far it's great steel! lol
First round of thinning I mainly thinned the shoulder of the secondary bevel on the left side down a little. It may or may not be evident in the pic but the line of the kurouchi finish is a little higher than stock because of that. I held the knife almost flat to hit the secondary bevel's shoulder and managed to keep enough room to not knock off the rest of the finish. lol I did that to make passage through taller stuff like an onion easier.
The second round which I did one day on my days off for Christmas, I actually thinned it down behind the edge on both sides, taking the cutting edge's shoulders down a bit. Since the blade had a patina on it I could easily see where I was grinding as it was REALLY shiny in those spots. lol I also worked out some low spots in the blade on both sides that were showing but there is still one left. It's pretty inconsequential where it is so I didn't grind it enough to remove it. I don't want to make it too thin. lol I might tackle that after I'm more sure of my thinning skills. As for the angle I used, I just held it a little lower than I would have for sharpening, but not as flat as I was when lowering the left side secondary bevel. I pretty much kept the sharpened edge at the same angle since it is one I am comfortable sharpening with. The issue with the knife wasn't the cutting edge anyway, just the width of the metal behind it.
After removing the cutting edge's shoulders I did a little sharpening to the edge to try to help blend the new shoulder bevel with the edge to make it more smooth and convex rather than just a facet. Lastly I hit the strops to polish out the scratches some and blend everything together. I use a handmade, double-sided stropping stick with a Ryobi emery polishing compound on one side and Ryobi white stainless steel polishing compound on the other. They're sticks made for buffing wheels (like big crayons), but they get the job done well. Just gotta be careful not to use too much or I get a waxy buildup on the leather. The leather allows for a nice blending of the grind lines and scratches on the blade since it gives a little. I also have to home-made balsa strops used with the same compounds to have a harder surface to finish the cutting edge with.
The stone I used is a 240/1k King combo stone. It's cheap and works well. So far I have only used the 1k side. It gets really muddy though. lol I plan on eventually replacing it with some cleaner Shaptons, but for now it works very well and the result speaks for itself.
I'm also thinking about making a new double sided strop and getting some more balsa so I can give the diamond sprays a try. I think they would be MUCH cleaner than what I currently use and might even work better.