It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takayuki Damascus
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:19 pm 

Here is a Takayuki Damascus 240mm Gyuto that I recently handled for a CKTG customer in the UK. The main handle is green dyed and stabilized figured maple with an Amazon rosewood ferrule and buffalo horn and nickel-silver spacers. The saya is rosewood with at turned aluminum spacer.

Thanks for looking,

Carter

Post subject: Re: Takayuki Damascus
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:46 pm 

Wow, that's just gorgeous. Excellent. :) I happen to have that same knife myself so I can image it in front of me with that handle. Wow.

Usually I'm not into colorful handles, maybe because I think they won't get along with the patina on my carbon blades. But this cool, shiny ginsan blade really looks great with some color added to it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:29 pm 

limpet wrote:Wow, that's just gorgeous. Excellent. :) I happen to have that same knife myself so I can image it in front of me with that handle. Wow.

Usually I'm not into colorful handles, maybe because I think they won't get along with the patina on my carbon blades. But this cool, shiny ginsan blade really looks great with some color added to it. :)

I spent a long time trying to get ahold of that piece of wood. I'm very glad I sent it to Carter. The knife looks even better in person!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm 

That's gorgeous. How do you finish your saya?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:28 pm 

Very pretty. Has that knife been thinned? I'm amazed at the core exposure in some places!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:23 pm 

A correction: the ferrule and endcap are black buffalo horn, the spacer on the ferrule is rosewood.

Lepus: the saya has a few light coats of TruOil over a base of a lindseed oil based finish made by Festool

Seth: ....better in person!.....so are you saying my photos stink??? LOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:12 am 

Haha, sorry Carter, but you're going to have to spend a lot to compete with the sun.

The thin rosewood spacer takes in a new life in sunlight. It's a very cool and understated transformation. The red shows up a bit in the pictures and in the kitchen, but outside, wow.

Now I have to install a skylight in my kitchen...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 pm 

I used to have a big sky light in my kitchen 20 years ago...again here in Miami, so major sun. My counters were white Corian and when the sun was at the right elevation, I actually had to wear sunglasses in the kitchen.....it was very much a mixed blessing.

Some of the Amazon rosewood really has a lot of red that pops in the right light.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]