It is currently Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Family portrait
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:22 pm 

A lifetime ago I posted this picture of my collection in some thread:

Four of these knives are still in my collection but the Tanaka nakiri is currently listed in the classified, the Tojiro bread knife was lost in a drawer until last month (I forgot I had it), and the Tojiro petty is not worth selling so I keep it. Only one is still in the rotation, the Anryu. So I figured it was time for another updated photo of the collection. A sort of time capsule of where I've come from and where I'm headed.

I'll mail you a nickle if you can name 'em all ;)
Clue: the middle photo is all Kono

Post subject: Re: Family portrait
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 pm 

I remember finding your first pic when I was searching for magnetic knife blocks. When I showed it to my wife to explain what I was looking for, I got the first of many eye rolls...cause she knew the knives were going to follow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:40 pm 

Someone wants to sell me that Kono 270 white #2!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

OK, bottom photo, left to right, my guesses:

Teruyasu Fujiwara 240 Nashiji Gyuto
Anryu Hammered B#2 240 Gyuto
Kanehiro AS 240 Gyuto
Takeda Small (210) Gyuto (Classic, can't see the finish texture?)
Goko Nashiji 150 Petty
Okeya Kogatana 24mm
Ikeda AS Damascus 250 Gyuto
Stumper for me: Kato or Shig Damascus 240 Gyuto
Masamoto KS 250 Gyuto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 pm 

Almost...the Takeda is NAS and it is a Kato the second from the right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:29 pm 

dv/dt, when I took that pic I was shocked that I could fill it...not it is not enough :roll:

Very close, Steve...I'm impressed.

Gladius got the Takeda...which is good, it used to be his ;)

The Petty is a Tojiro ITK stripped of its finish. After the Okeya is a Tanaka R2 wa-handled. The second from the right is a Takayuki Ginsan Damascus.

The Konos, right to left are: Richmond Ultimatum HD, Richmond Addict SLD, Kono laser Wt#2, Ginsan, Chicago's Fuji Wt#2, Fuji Funy Blue #2, and a damascus Wt#1.

It is funny to me how it is the Anryu keeps making the cut. I think part of it was it was my first carbon core, wa-handled, rustic finished knife and like who ever your first Doctor is or your first Bond is, that becomes definitive. But also the Anryu's grind is quite unique and I've not found a knife that perfectly substitutes for it. Many of the other knives were put on the chopping block (pun intended) because they had been made redundant by something better or even just something else. Nothings quite knocked of the Anryu yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:11 pm 

So... Jealous.... Of that Fujiyama..... I've been waiting to catch a 270 w#2 for months now. I think that might be the only knife out there that can oust the KS as my #1.

Great collection dude. You have good taste. That Takayuki is friggin' sexy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 pm 

Thanks Stephen. I've been very lucky to catch some good deals from Mark and others on the forum and get some great opportunities to pick stuff up on trade...in a lot of respects, I attribute the collection to the forum. I'm just fortunate enough that the collection lives at my house :mrgreen:

I'm actually jealous of you pros. You get to play with your toys much more than I do... I've been thinking about having a standing dinner party night and just rotate friends and family through just to give me an excuse to put more mileage on these.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:18 am 

So you were the lucky one to get the W#1 Damascus from Chip! That one was tricking me up, because I didn't think you had one.

Great collection. There is such a high-quality diversity there that it is going to become increasingly difficult to ever let any of those go since they all hold such unique places in any collection (even among the Kono-only shelf!). While the forum may have helped you build your collection, I am confident that you have helped others build at least as many collections of similar caliber as you have gyutos. Your contributions are always excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:00 pm 

"There is such a high-quality diversity there that it is going to become increasingly difficult to ever let any of those go since they all hold such unique places in any collection"

^^^This!

It is a bit embarrassing how many knives I have at the moment, but I struggle to bring myself to part with any of them because they all seem to bring something to the table. And I suppose this was a natural, if unexpected, outcome of my driving principle of my collection: strive for a range of experiences so that no knife "feel" redundant. It never occurred to me that I would end up with so many and so little overlap.

PS. Thanks for the kind words!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next