It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My first honyaki (Sukenari)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm 

Purchased a Sukenari Honyaki White #1 Gyuto 240 last week from CKTG and got it home yesterday. Beautiful knife and I really like the looks of handle made by Alton Janelle @ Isaiah Schroeder Knifeworks. Handle is smallish, but it doesn't bother me, and the blade is kind of small for a 240 anyways.

First impressions of the blade is that it seems to be pretty flat, not much convex, but I could be wrong. Very, very nice distal taper along the spine. The edge OOTB seems very inconsistent so I'm going to have to sharpen it up. The blade also seems to have some friction problems right above the edge, so if sharpening the primary edge doesn't fix it, I'm probably going to have to hit the secondary edge behind it. Bye, bye mirror polish... ;)

So, mixed feelings. Beautiful blade but the OOTB performance is so-so.

A bunch of pictures here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

The bad thing with mirror polish is how it reveals your crap mounting of LED lights below the kitchen cabinet. ;)

Post subject: Re: My first honyaki (Sukenari)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:37 pm 

It looks dainty next to the Kato.
The friction issue is contrary to one of the reviews by Tyler W.
I like the handle. Let us know how you like it comparatively after having used it for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:15 am 

Well hello beautiful! Gorgeous rehandle. Can't wait to hear what you think of her.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:35 am 

gorgeous knife man!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:35 pm 

I LOVE that knife rack, where did you get that! Oh.....and beautiful knife man! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:30 pm 

Jeff B wrote:I LOVE that knife rack, where did you get that! Oh.....and beautiful knife man! :D

Magnetic knife rack by Zwilling. I have five of them now. :) Only drawback is that the "track" on the base plate where the handle butt should fit, doesn't always fit depending on how thick the wa handle is, especially D-shaped handles can be a problem. It's probably designed for western handles. Sometimes I just let the knife "float" a bit above the base plate. More pictures of that knife rack here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:15 pm 

Congrats on the purchase! I think I've missed past reviews of these knives and I've been dying to read more about them. I hope that, once you get the edge where you like it and use it a bit, you can provide some comparisons to all of those other [really terrific] knives in your collection!

Congrats on a stellar handle as well. Wow!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:34 pm 

does your knife have a S grind to it? It seems like there is a slight hollow grind in the middle of the blade with the edge being convex.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:50 am 

Very nice knife. Impressive collection and display.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:04 am 

limpet wrote:Magnetic knife rack by Zwilling. I have five of them now. :) Only drawback is that the "track" on the base plate where the handle butt should fit, doesn't always fit depending on how thick the wa handle is, especially D-shaped handles can be a problem. It's probably designed for western handles. Sometimes I just let the knife "float" a bit above the base plate. More pictures of that knife rack here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Thanks Limpet, going to check those out!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next