It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sabatier Rehab!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:47 pm 

Started with this specimen from the un-named auction site.

Cleaned it up with baking soda, lemon juice and a blue Scothbrite- I didn't want to be too abrasive with it if I didn't need to.

I put a point back on it getting rid of the rounded tip. I also took out a lot of the large gouges on the spine from it getting beat on or doing the beating. I didn't get them all the way out but I look the bite off of them. I rounded the spine a touch while I had the diamond plate out.

The edge was completely gone. I mean no bevel anywhere. Got it started. It isn't as sharp as it could be but it will get there. There is a large ding three and half inches from the bolster that should be out in two or three more sharpenings.

I waxed the handle. It soaked it up. It will need another coat or two. Now I just need to replace the broken rivet and I will be happy with it.

I cut five pounds of onions with it last night an it has a beautiful dark gray patina on it. I lack lighting in my house to get a a better picture of it so here is the best I've got.

My first attempt at a restoration. This one went too easy. So I'm sure replacing the rivet won't be as easy as it should- or the handle will split. Time will tell.
Now to find more knives to work on.

And on the off chance, does anyone know much about Veritable Sabatier or how old the knife is? I've seen the chef picture in the stamp change a couple of times on other knives for sale but I can't find much on Veritable, usually K or Four Star. I know the Sabatier name is a mess from old times. Thanks ;)

Post subject: Re: Sabatier Rehab!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Panko - nice job on the restoration, my friend! It's nice to see someone put an old, worn out knife back into shape and back into the kitchen to get some work done 8-).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:05 pm 

SteveG wrote:Panko - nice job on the restoration, my friend! It's nice to see someone put an old, worn out knife back into shape and back into the kitchen to get some work done 8-).

Thanks, its nice to give an old work horse a new lease on life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:23 pm 

It is sad how many people probably have quality tools in their home and just don't know it because the lack the knowledge or initiative to rehab them.

Fun project!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:27 am 

Nice job! I personally love restoring old knives.
If you are so inclined to work on the handles after you replace the broken rivet.
All you need is some sandpaper, a buffing wheel, and some brown Tripoli rouge.
Lightly sand the handle, if the handle gets too light, then you might have to put some stain on to restore the color.
Otherwise, just buff the handle with the tripoli rouge. You will be amazed at the results.
I picked up 2 buffers at Harbor Freight for under $50 each. Or you can attach a buffing wheel to an electric drill.
Have fun with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:09 am 

Nice. I found a couple of four stars at a garage sale this past summer. It is fun to find something and bring it back to life.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:20 pm 

Nice! your story sounds similar to an old Russel green river I bought on eBay. Lots of hand sanding, spine rounding and bevel setting. Its on my magnetic rack not getting much use since the blade is about as long as my cutting board :p I Did cut some sausages and left a nice blue patina...

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

I want to cry when I see Sabatier treated bad you did excellent work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 pm 

Nice! I have an Au Ritz just like that and it too needs some TLC as well. I'll get to that in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Lucky man. I have the noget and had ut for 5 yrs plus a few k series and that 10 inch no get is the bomb.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next