It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wa Day today!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, I spent some time yesterday trying out different techniques to make Octagon Wa handles. First few attempts weren't too pretty or even, but I did settle on a method that seems to work for me. I got a grab bag of different woods from WoodCraft, so I picked two and went to town!

It's a bit chunky for the little knife it's on, so I will go back and slim it down a bit. The angles seemed to work out pretty well. I did the bottom narrower than the top with the angles:

The front feels nice in the hand, but the back is way too high, so I will bring it down and thin it out. Still working on the tang slot, too. I did this one with a dowel that I cut a slit down and widened to fit the tang of the knife. Then I drilled the ferrule part way and the rear part part way and epoxied the dowel into place after I did the tang slot. It gives a tight fit to the tang, and I didn't have to grind down the tang. Still gotta get better with the Dremel and Broaches, but the other one I did today came out much better and fits tighter to the tang. This petty has a very thin tang, so even a 3/32" Dremel bit and broach were a bit too fat. The epoxy will fill it if I end up installing it onto a knife. There are some voids I have to fill in the ferrule part.

There is a small gap on the other side, but it's the best one so far! The broaches really worked well and the tang was fatter than 1/8", so I used files to square it off and get it closer.

Also worked on a Lefty D Wa handle for Aaron! Stabilized striped Indonesian Ebony, copper spacer and stabilized Amboyna Burl with the natural craggly end.

Post subject: Re: Wa Day today!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 am 
Forum Moderator

Got some better pics of the D shaped Wa blade/handle fit:

270mm Lefty Yanagiba:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice going there.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 am