It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Victorinox knives not keeping their sharpness
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:11 pm 

is it the kind of drawer where everything just hits everything else? that might be a cause of loss of sharpness.

if it is, try to keep it in a drawer that has individual slots for each knife something like this:

if the knife edges would hit something as hard or harder than it is, it will hurt the edge, might even chip your blades as well.

storage doesn't have to be a magnetic rack, or a knife bag or anything, so long as it's well protected from possibly getting damaged and kept dry and cool.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:16 pm 

wow. That looks like an amazing knife. Is it one of the single bevel types?

If i were to get one of those what kit would be needed for sharpening and honing it??

With the paperwheels and the victorinox knife aswell thoug.... Would keep doing too many passes on the honing wheel make the knife more like a razor causing it to snap easily on the bevel? Even though the angle is correct? Whens the time to stop honing on the wheel? Should a knife always be able to cut arm hair and is that a way of knowing once it is sharp enough?

I do like the look of that knife you showed me. Theres so much here i want to get but really need to work more and save up. Delivery to australia is very steep indeed.

Am i ok for now with my kasumi knife though? Theyre quite good arent they?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 pm 

didnt even know drawers like that existed! I think thats a very good idea. Really love the design there. Can these be bought or are they custom made?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:25 pm 

Another thing that may lead to issues is if when using the wheel, you are getting the blade too hot. You could potentially mess up the heat treatment and cause the knife to be too brittle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:30 pm 

yeah i didnt think of that being a cause but now you mention it it could be likely. I never know how much jewelers rouge to apply. Do you have any idea?
Im also not sure on knowing when to finish on the honing wheel.. I presume its when its at the stage where it can cut hair easily. And sharpening beyond that could maybe thin the blade too much until it becomes easily breakable?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:32 pm 

there are ready made ones, but if your drawers aren't "standard", then you'll have to get them custom done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:36 pm 

yeah our drawers are nothing like what you got. They are just a big kitchen cupboard drawer where cutlery is just thrown in willy nilly. Really need to get myself a set up going dont i?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:15 pm 

not my drawer. i keep my knives in knife bags. =D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 pm 

I sharpen my Victorinox at around 20 degrees, and it holds an arm hair-cutting edge for like a week of daily use. Even after it stops being able to shave, it still easily slices tomato. I only sharpen it up to 1000 grit, though. Maybe you're putting too fine a polish on it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:03 pm 

I take my Victorinox to 2k at around 20* and it seems to hold the edge pretty well. When it feels to be loosing it's edge the Idahone brings it right back. Sharpen once a week to once a month depending use, then it's usually just a quicky. ;)

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next