It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: "Value" Honesuki Recommendation
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:59 pm 

1. right handed
2. interested in honesuki
3. What size knife--140-150mm seems typical
4. Can do either carbon or stainless steel
5. western handle or Japanese handle are both okay, but I'm guessing at my price range western is far more likely
6. budget: < $100
7. Yes, I can sharpen

I'm looking at getting a relatively inexpensive and high value honesuki. I can't say I break down chickens often enough to warrant spending a lot of money on this knife.

So far, it seems like the Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP are the most likely contenders, and both seem recommended (with the Tojiro having more reviews). I have an Artifex petty, and found it needed some thinning to be to my liking, so I'm shying away from that line. It seems like the Tojiro is either single bevel or extreme enough asymmetrical (either would work).

Does anyone know if the Fujiwara FKM is single bevel or highly asymmetrical?

The Tojiro DP steel seems a bit harder, so it would hopefully be able to be taken to a keener edge, so I'm leaning toward it. The cost difference isn't much of a factor.

Any others out there that I should be considering? For anyone more familiar with these two options, is there anything else significant to note?

Thanks in advance . . .

Post subject: Re: "Value" Honesuki Recommendation
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:20 pm 

The Fujiwara is a right handed knife. The right side is convex and the left is a flat grind. My own FKM sujihiki measured a 70/30 grind initially, and though it won't always generalize across the line, I think it's safe to assume some right handed favoring grind disparity. If I was picking between the two, I would personally take the Fujiwara for the steel. The Tojiro is in VG-10 which I wouldn't want around bones due to its chippy reputation. Ideally that's irrelevant in a honesuki, but... well. Life happens.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm with Lepus. I'd go with the Fujiwara or the Artifex Honesuki.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:59 pm 

In general I find the Artifex line to be excessively thick as well, but a Honesuki is (as I understand it) supposed to be thick to handle the heavier duty job it is doing. I have the Artifex Honesuki and am very happy with it. On paper the Artifex will have the better steel of the three.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:59 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:In general I find the Artifex line to be excessively thick as well, but a Honesuki is (as I understand it) supposed to be thick to handle the heavier duty job it is doing. I have the Artifex Honesuki and am very happy with it. On paper the Artifex will have the better steel of the three.

Good point about the thickness of the Artifex being a potential plus in this case. Just looked it up and saw it has an 80/20 grind. Hmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the other input as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 pm 

I have the Tojiro DP honesuki. I don't use it that often, but it does everything I need a honesuki to do.
I'd buy it again.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:48 pm 

I have the Tojiro and am very happy with it. Granted, I am just a home cook and I don't break down a lot of chickens at a time, but the Tojiro was sharp OTB and got even better on the stones. I haven't noticed any chipping, but I don't hack bones with it either. With me, it was one of those things that I didn't need one, but I wanted one :-)They are a lot of fun to use; maybe some day I'll stage at a restaurant and break down enough poultry to get that out of my system. Then again, prepping at a restaurant is a lot like work; construction (what I do) is hard enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

I had the Tojiro DP, never was really impressed with the edge holding. Haven't tried the Fujiwara stainless series, but I know they use softer steel as well. I have the Artifex Honesuki. Yes, it's thicker behind the edge, but it wasn't much thicker BTE than the Tojiro was if at all. The thickness in this case helps and keeps the edge more robust. I was using it to behead and clean trout, no chips at all. I have since thinned/lasered it out and use it only for trimming meats now. I need to order another one, but I don't break down chickens much and can use the regular Artifex boning knife. Go with the Artifex!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:40 am 

I own the larger Tojiro model. It is more knife than I need for most chicken tasks, and feels less like a honesuki than a really, really beefy petty or gyuto (read: the shape/balance is lost due to the size)...and I still don't quite get the leverage I need to get through the occasional thin bone or joint without feeling a bit out of control because of the awkward balance. That said, I've had no problems what-so-ever with the edge, and I do not hesitate to punish the knife on occasion. Still, I always find myself wishing I had a more nimble honesuki, and I generally find myself myself frustrated with the kind clunky feel of the handle and balance due to the size. My favorite tasks for this knife are breaking down larger cuts of pork and, oddly enough, chopping up nuts, lemon grass, and other stubborn ingredients.

I love the single bevel on the knife, and the grind is significantly better than my Tojiro petties. Still, if I had to do it again, I'd go for the Richmond.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 am 

Tojiro DP is terrific, but isn't it over the op's budget?

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next