It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Utility, Boning and Paring
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Our house was burglarized last week and among the items stolen/damaged were some of my knives. They used a Shun utility, a cheap Dexter boning knife, and my Maruyoshi HD Gyuto to open a document safe. Also used my Richmand paring knife to undo the screws holding my TV to the wall. All 4 knives were damaged beyond repair. Luckily we have insurance so everything can be replaced and I'm in the midst of doing so now. So replacing the utility, boning knife, and paring knife is kind of a no brainer but I wanted to get your opinion on the gyuto. I also have a Richmond Laser Aogami Super 240mm gyuto (glad they didn't try to open the safe with that one) so I want something to compliment that. Something a bit heavier than the laser with a western handle. Is the Maruyoshi a good bet or should I look at something else as well? I will be ordering all of these replacement knives from you within the near future.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Utility, Boning and Paring
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

JONATHAN <> In a yo-handle, why not take a big step up from the VG-10 steel you had to the Haruyuki<--link.?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:20 pm 

Sounds awful. Sorry to hear about that. I have been through that once, its a terrible feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Melampus - +1 on that!

Jonathan - take a look at the Shun Classic 3.5" Paring: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kepakn31.html. Adam Marr highly recommends these and I can see why after having one in hand - they're really nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Speaking of ADAM MARR, & petties, he still has two for sale... petty-s-and-a-paring-knife-t4486.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 pm 

The original workhorse, Hiromoto Gyuto 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html
AS core in stainless clad at a very reasonable price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 am 

Thanks for the comments so far. I paid ~$280 in a store for the Maruyoshi so I'd like to get as close to that price as possible for the gyuto. If it's a bit over I can just pay the difference I guess. Also, a wa style handle would be fine as well. I don't want something super heavy, just something a touch heavier than my Richmond laser for tougher more dense veggies such as acorn squash or yams. I do think the Maruyoshi was very attractive but it is pretty expensive for VG-10. Fit and finish was excellent on it though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 am 

I second the recommendation on the shun paring knife. I've never really found a paring knife that was comfortable in hand but I love that knife. Now I look for excuses to use it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:47 am 

The Haruyuki Mel linked sounds exactly what your looking for and it's $270.

This should also be on your radar, Kanehiro Ginsan Gyuto 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagigy24.html
Mel will have to tell you about it, I haven't been privileged enough to use one yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm 

That Kanehiro looks super nice. Is it a bit heavier duty than the Richmond laser (I can see that it's a touch heavier but that doesn't mean a whole lot without using it)? The Haruyuki looks like it might be a little heavier. Not quite as exciting to me as the Kanehiro though. Also, as a fairly novice sharpener, I notice that sharpening VG-10 seems to be easier than Aogami Super. So with that in mind, I might be willing to give up some hardness if the steel is easier to sharpen. Any other comments or suggestions before I pull the trigger on these?

As a side note, our insurance is paying for replacements but some things can not be replaced such as all of my pictures and music on my laptop and my wife's grandfather's pocket watch and grandmother's locket. House was totally ransacked as well. We live in a pretty nice neighborhood that feels pretty safe. If you are considering getting a security system or installing cameras DO IT NOW. Don't wait until after you've been violated like we did.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next