It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Update + new razor
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 pm 

I'm all in now. Threw away all disposable blade razors and have been using straights for about two weeks. It's not nearly as difficult as it would seem. If you handle knives often, or just very skilled with your hands, you can handle it. I just purchased and received my first brand new razor. A 7/8 square point high polish, 1/4 ground with coccobolo scales from Hart Steel. Love it. High quality, nicely packaged and shaves great. Yes, for tough beards, Stiffer blade is a must. I can handle a hollow on the second pass, not on the first.

Post subject: Re: Update + new razor
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:19 am 

Congrats!! I'm only a month or two in and have managed to stockpile 8 razors so far with one in the mail and 5 or 6 on the 'soon' list :P I'm trying all different types before I settle on just a few. I've gotten the best shaves of my life from straights and can't imagine picking up a disposable and canned shaving cream again!!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 am 

This is my fourth razor. I also tried different widths and grinds, I decided I was in it for the long haul and wanted to purchase a new one. I like this razor but it won't be the last one I buy. Let's just say it will be in my rotation for a very long time. There are a few others i would like to have as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:45 am 
Forum Moderator

LET'S SEE THEM GUYS!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 pm 

Melampus,

I will get a pic of them soon, I swear!! :) They are all eBay specials but they all (but one) shave pretty well! I did buy a new one that was supposed to be 'shave ready' from a highly regarded vendor and sent it back after 2 unsuccessful shaves...it wouldn't even shave the easy part of my cheeks! It turned me off to new razors for a bit, now i'm back on the hunt :P

Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 pm 

I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do that from my phone. Will this site accommodate that? I am working on a Wade & Butcher "hollow ground razor" right now. I made some new zebra wood scales for it with a Wenge wedge. I am going to polish the blade again using a vibratory polisher with walnut media loaded with boron carbide. I'm afraid to use my wheel anymore for fear of removing the blade etching.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:56 am 
Forum Moderator

RED <> This forum does not offer photo hosting outside of the avatar option so you have to host it somewhere free like photobucket (great link codes). Then you just link it in the post w/the "Img" button above.

Take the pic on your phone, and upload to your computer. Then open photobucket.com & host it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]