It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Trouble Sharpening Takeda Banno Petit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:21 am 

Hi everyone,

I bought the Takeda Banno Petit a few months ago from Mark to use as a petty knife. I ended up using it sort of rarely in my last job.But I recently started working a new job and new station where I'm finding reason to use the Banno quite a bit more during service as opposed to my chefs knife. Anyways I hadn't really sharpened it since getting it because the OOTB edge was good enough for me especially with the minimal use. The other day I took it to my Shapton stones and just couldn't get anything going. I think I'm having a hard time finding the edge and making a burr. This is my first time sharpening Aogami steel and it just feels a little different than what I'm used to. I can't even get a good sound on the stones if that makes sense, no matter what angle I try. Does anyone have advice for sharpening AS steel or Takeda's overall? Using Shapton 1k and 4k stones.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Trouble Sharpening Takeda Banno Petit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:56 am 
Forum Moderator

A while back I sharpened 2 Takeda's for a friend (one was the Banno Petit) on an Edge Pro Apex with Shapton GS 500, 1K, 4K stones and it worked great. It might take you a while on the 1K Shapton Glass on AS steel to cut a bevel. Take a really hard look at the edge and see if it's convexed towards the edge of the edge. If it is, you might need to get your angle high enough to cut a small bevel on the edge of the edge on both sides. Then again, I could be completely wrong - I haven't seen the knife in quite a while. Shapton Glass stones should cut AS very well. It just takes a little longer than say White #1, #2 or Blue #1, #2.

Hey Jason B. - a little help here please. Set me straight dude ;-).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:15 am 

Thanks SteveG,

I'll wait for some more replies and then go to work on the stones with it a little more. Sunday/Monday are my off days so I'll have plenty of time to try and get a good edge going.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 am 

There is no angle to find, you simply lay the whole bevel on the stone and sharpen.

I would recommend sharpening with a 1k stone then a light stropping, they typically work better with a bit of tooth to the edge. Instead of a strop you can also use the 4k to do a microbevel, well not really, but at a elevated angle with almost no pressure use the 4k to just kiss the edge and remove the burr.

Place your fingers near the edge of the blade when sharpening, it also helps to stop the stroke and re-position your fingers as you progress down the edge. It can sometimes be difficult to feel because the bevel is so shallow.

Last thing to be mindful of is if you have one of the thinner blades they can bend easily, always check to ensure the blade it straight before you sharpen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:46 am 

In addition only: check for a microbevel using the marker trick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

So Jason - do you take the primary bevels down to a zero grind, then add a microbevel if needed? That's what I picture reading your reply. Thanks. We need a virtual round table discussion w/some beers where we can pick your brain for a couple of hours ;-). You've go so much sharpening knowledge in that head of yours - awesome!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:10 am 

Thanks Jason, I plan to spend some time tomorrow taking a good look at the knife and hopefully sharpening it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:52 am 
Forum Moderator

Just to emphasize some suggestions, use the sharpie trick to see that you are actually reaching the edge. It may be a bit convex if you are doing a zero grind so you may be missing the edge of the edge. You can use a fine stone to test this. Then consider a coarser stone than a 1k - like a 150 220 or 320 depending on your level of comfort with rougher stones. Takeda's knives take a nice edge and can take a fine level of finish well past 4k.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:14 am 

Thanks, Steve :)

Takeda knives have a zero ground double bevel and I don't change that. What I was referring to with the "microbevel" was that using a higher angle with a much finer stone can aid in removing the burr from a coarser ground edge. Think of it like a strop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:46 am 

Ah Jason, so much to be learned from you.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next