It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Torn between two Debas.....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 am 

All,
Do you have any recommendations btn Doi 180mm Blue Deba(ebony) and Takeda AS classic 180mm Deba.

Post subject: Re: Torn between two Debas.....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:59 am 

The Doi is going to be a single bevel, while the takeda is 50/50

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm 

I understand that part-thank you. I was looking for something a little more in depth (ie: price difference vs. quality vs. value, assthetics, handling, weighting etc...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:26 pm 

All I can say is that Takeda knives are of excellent quality. I have no experience with Doi knives. Spines are almost the same thickness, around the 7.6/7.7 mm mark. Takeda knives generally are blade heavy, don't know about the Doi. I'd choose the Takeda, but that just because I'm genuinely in love with his work, also the price tag is about 75% of the Doi.

Any people with Doi-experience?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm 

Thank you- I was wondering if the Doi was worth the extra bucks. Does anyone have Doi knowlege?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:27 pm 

I've got knives from both makers (Takeda suji, Doi kiritsuke) so I feel like I can give you some insight here but this question is kinda hard to answer.

Taken individually, there's not much to say that hasn't already been said. Takeda makes one of the best, if not THE best, KU knife on the market. The Doi elicits a very similar response albeit with a completely different kind of knife.

Simply put, the Doi is worth the extra money if you're looking for a Doi. That may seem like a bit of a cop out, but you have to understand that part of the price tag is the intangibles that go along with owning a knife made by someone of his reputation and stature in the industry.

However, as someone that uses his deba more than most, I still can't wrap my head around trying to compare a double bevel knife to a single bevel one. Focusing on the maker in this case, feels like trying to run before you can walk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am 
Site Admin

There are two major differences between these knives, finish and grind. If it were me I would get the Takeda because I prefer two sided knives and I think it would be a little more versatile.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]