It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Torn between these two. Suggestions wanted
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 pm 

watercrawl wrote:With the Kono you're buying a $200 knife and a $15 handle.

Exactly! Your description nails it. While that stock handle will suffice, the only part of my Kono that I thought was lacking was the handle. Even just a $50 replacement from EE made mine so much nicer to use, at least for me it did. ;)

Before the new handle:

After:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 pm 

Wow! Thats nice!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 pm 

Paradox, that looks great. How hard was the handle swap? Any tips?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:40 am 

mkmk wrote:Paradox, that looks great. How hard was the handle swap? Any tips?

Thank you. It was not really too hard at all. A huge THANK YOU goes out to taz575. If it had not been for his encouragement and a few tips I would not have done it on my own. To his credit too he missed out on a paying job by helping me with a few PMs. I was going to send the knife to him to make a handle for me if I had not done it myself.

My first stab at doing a re-handle was a handle I made from scratch and put on an old Forgecraft carbon chef knife. So I had a little idea on what had to happen to get the Kono done. I was way more willing to wing it on the Forgercraft as I was only into it for about $16 via eBay. (The prices on them have skyrocketed too since I did mine.)

The hard part was getting the old handle off. I first tried to "knock" it off as that seemed to be the preferred method from my research. However it was not going to happen. Since I had done the Forgecraft already in a similar way and with taz' advice I went ahead and just used my drill press to slowly grind off the old handle. A forstner bit made it a pretty easy operation. I pretty much just ground the handle off one side of the knife and then was able to pull the other half of the handle off by hand.

I'm lucky in that I live local to a shop here called Epicurean Edge. I stopped in and they have several different options for replacement handles. Lucky for me the one I liked the best was also the least expensive, about $50. It was nice to be able to handle them before having to pick one out too. There was a hole already in the handle for the knifes tang. I did have to use a long drill bit and make it just a bit deeper. I also had to shorten the end of the tang about 3/16" to get the final fit I wanted. Once I had it fitted the way I wanted I just mixed up some epoxy and glued it together.

**One new thing that I did come away with from this one was this: Tape the whole blade of the knife before you begin. I used paper to wrap the blade and just a little tape where I needed it to keep the paper on the blade. I did the same with my Forgecraft but I didn't take notice really to the result because I did a lot of work on the blade after I got the new handle on it. What happened was some debris/grit from the handling process got under the paper and slightly scratched the side of Kono blade. You can kind of see it in the picture. Not too bad, but I did lean a good thing from it. ;)

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 am 

Super helpful -- thanks!

I might try an inexpensive petty first....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 am 
Forum Moderator

I have noticed more and more handles having a strong flexible sealant on the tangs; I tried on 2 of them to remove the handle with heat, knocking it off, etc for around an hour on each one. Finally gave up and cracked the handles off! The sealant is very gummy and is a royal PITA to remove.

Like Paradox said, wrap the whole blade with tape. I usually use several layers of the blue tape, but you can do a layer of and then a layer of Duct tape. This will protect the blade and you; remember the knives will most likely be sharp! I use a long piece of wood several inches longer than the knife blade and a hammer. I put the wood on the front of the ferrule and tap on the wood with the hammer. Most will come off fairly easily this way unless it has the sealant on it. I went to bigger hammers, metal bars, etc and cracked the ferrules off a few knives that had the sealant. If it doesn't come off in a few taps, try heating the handle and see if that will work; if not, it has the sealant.

With the Artifex with regrinding the handle, it may be a touch too short/narrow after words. I will check some when I get home, but I generally prefer a Wa handle to be slightly longer than the Western handle on the Artifex.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:13 am 

paradox, what happened to the old handle? did it get cracked and stuff? wouldn't mind getting that handle. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 pm 

It was mostly ground into little bits of sawdust.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2