It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro ITK Bread and Western Deba Questions
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am a home cook, do all my own sharpening at home, and have some experience with carbon vs stainless and different blade types, but am new to higher quality cutlery. Until early this week my best knives were Tramontina and Chicago cutlery hand-me-down singles.

On Tuesday I received a Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto and am totaly blown away. I don't know if I am enjoying the edge, the blade profile, the thinness of the blade, or just the novelty of such a nice knife more right now. Needless to say, I have the itch but I have a few questions about knives I am considering down the line.

First, I would love to play with a carbon knife such as the Fujiwara Gyuto. My question is: when you force a patina, is the pattern permanent? Does the subsequent oxidation due to use slowly blot out the pattern? And can you polish and re-patina the blade after it takes on a patina?

Second, I am interested in the Tojiro ITK break knife. My concern regards sharpening the blade. Is it possible to sharpen at home? If so, how? If sharpening must be done professionally, is the scalloped blade sufficiently common that most sharpeners will be able to work with the blade?

Third, I would like a heavier knife for working with harder materials like bone in cuts of meat and might double as a slicer. I love the look of the Tojiro DP Western Deba but wonder what other knives you might recommend in that role, preferably at or below that price-point?

Thank you so much for your advice.

-Ryan

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Tojiro ITK Bread and Western Deba Questions
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ryan,

I just started a new forum for Chefknivestogo. Do you mind if I use your question and my answer? It will help others who read it. I'll only use your first name if I post it.
knife-recommendations-q-a-f4.html

Yes I would encourage you to try a cheap, good carbon knife and the Fujiwara is an excellent candidate. They're fun to use and easy to sharpen. The pattern can be removed by polishing it off. We sell these cape cod tarnish removing cloths and they work pretty well but it takes some work.

We were just talking about this on our forum. There are several ways to do it at home :
sharpening-an-itk-bread-knife-t88.html

You mentioned my first choice. I also keep a German Wusthof around for stuff like this and also a CCK bone chopper cleaver. You want soft steel for these types of tasks so the edge doesn't chip.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
ChefKnivesToGo.com
(608) 232-1137

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

By all means, feel free to post this e-mail in your forum.

To clarify: does the pattern from a forced patina on a carbon knife last long, or does it degrade to a more uniform grey?

Thanks again for your time,
Ryan

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

The patina tends to get more dark and uniform over time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:34 am 

Thanks for the response Mark.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]