It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tips for the Edge Pro
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Some pics please Trapper737???

:)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:22 pm 

quick pic for MadRookie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:03 am 
Forum Moderator

Thank you!!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Trapper737 wrote:Hey All,
I've taken Dr. T's advice and recently used the magnets while sharpening. Instead of just one, I'm using a stack of five. The results...I don't have to physically touch the knife at all once it's mounted and the setup lets me completely focus on stroke consistency. What a great tip and the magnets were less than 10 bucks!
Trapper

What magnets are you guys using? Can you give me a link? I would like to try these and perhaps offer them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:09 pm 

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info ... ucts_id=23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:04 am 
Site Admin

Thanks! I ordered some. Looking forward to trying these.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 am 

When using an EP with the stone selections available on this site take note of the stone thicknesses. This site has a great selection of quality stones to select from and they don't all stick to the 1/8" thickness that come with the standard EP sets. There are two issues this deals with. The most important is when progressing from stone to stone. If the thickness changes you need to adjust the angle. The stop collar is a big help with that. I'm posting to mention that if the stone is NOT 1/8" thick the angle marks on the EP will not be accurate. If you set the EP to 18 degrees per side and use a stone that is 1/4" thick (plus the 1/8" thick blank) the angle is going to be LOWER than 18 degrees per side. I just thought it should be understood, especially for new EP users.

I wanted the Angle cube for a while but just couldn't justify the expense for determining edge angles on my EP. I still wanted one though. When I realized you could use it to set the angle on your circular saw that was the justification I needed. :D I have found it to be a great tool to use with the EP. It really helps. I bought some 5/16" steel rod and made my own pivot rod. I used the cube to mark every angle instead of every 3 degrees. It's especially useful when using stones thicker than the 1/8" thick stones used when determining where to put the marks during production.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:40 am 

Just ordered some of the 48's. Figured I could use the extra grab from the magnets since I've got a few larger cleavers that go on the stones regularly.

How are you guys attaching them in there? I was thinking maybe a dab of gorilla glue on each one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:16 pm 

I'm definitely a noob with the edge pro, but the results that I've gotten on about 15 knives has been incredible. I use the magnet and stop collar and don't think that I could have done as well without them.

For years I tried sharpening with the hardware store stones and never got close to the results as with the edge pro.

One tip I can add is that the allen wrench for the stop collar can be stored by sticking it to the magnet.

Another tip is that a piece of polished granite is a great base for the EP. I have one that's 10" x 12" x 3/4". I'm in the business so it's easy for me to find one, but you could probably find a suitable piece in the trash at a local counter top fabrication shop.

One problem with the edge pro is that now I have to buy better (more expensive) knives to take advantage of the EP's potential. :)

Allen

Post subject: EP and 2x6" DMT stones, Re: Tips for the Edge Pro
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:00 pm 

I have been hearing about using the 2x6" (heavy) DMT stones in the EP. Mark has a video of how to mount it in the EP. I tried it but never could get the stone clamped in the EP tight enough where I would want to risk the heavy chunk of steel falling out and landing on my knife edge or blade (or my toe :(). So, I did this. I know some of you might not want to do this because I was hesitant myself. I did it anyway and it seems to work fine. Using my Dremel and a GOOD metal cutting disk I cut a groove in each end of the stone. In the front stone clamp the part of the clamp that sits on top of the stone blank fits into the notch in the stone. On the rear stone I needed to cut a notch in the plastic stone holder on the EP. Now the rear clamp has a bit to fit into the rear clamp. I have the spring in the EP but it doesn't provide enough pressure to hold the heavy stone. I put the copper tube back on and had to add another 1/4" tube length also. Using the knob to get the pressure real tight now it holds the heavier stone like a charm.

I don't think I will care much for using the fine and extra fine stone on the EP. I think the stone is just too heavy to use on a system where the stone is on top of the blade. Makes applying very light strokes a little difficult because of the weight. The coarse or extra coarse is another story. Just the weight of the stone may be enough pressure on the edge to do the job. I haven't used this much yet but what I have done seems to be ok. So, if you have wanted to use those stones in the EP but have a problem with the stone dropping out, this may be a solution. I didn't mind cutting a groove in the DMT stones. The cutting on the rear clamp on the EP was my only concern. I thought about it quite a bit, didn't see where I would destroy the plastic piece where it was unusable then I did it. So far, I like it.

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next