It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tips For Butchering A Whole Chicken
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:51 am 

You are right that the best technique is the fastest that gives you the desired cuts. Mind is similar to RedWattle's, but with more knife work.

As for broken chicken bones, it's usually the result of someone being overly aggressive with the bird. Very few chickens raised in the US are treated as delicate flowers to be raised with care. When a worker needs to move 500 birds out of a pen and one is being stubborn, they learn to use those boots. For work I don't have much input into product sources, so I get to deal with it.

My favorite TV cook remains Alton Brown. He teaches the entire process instead of teaching dishes. And his techniques are usually excellent. He had episodes entirely about salt and knives. Julia Child, on the other hand, remains the most lovable but clumsy cook ever to be on TV. When things go well she's good, but when she messes up she's hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:55 am 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

The Pepin video was awesome...He makes it look easy. Also notice he is using a Lamson knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:02 am 

now its time to try deboning a chicken one of the most fun bits of butchering that I learned in culinary school.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:25 pm 

I use shears to cut through the bones on both sides of the backbone and then split as recommended on the joints. Then I split the breast bone with a big knife...

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2