It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts from a convert...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:30 pm 

Pirsig's Metaphysics of Quality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirsig%27s ... of_quality

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

This place is amazing :-).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:15 am 

Love the knife references in the Pirsig article. I've started and restarted but never finished his book, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" about 20 times in the last 30 years. It's one of those books I really want to finish but just can't seem to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:10 pm 

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" was a book I read and re-read in my twenties. Had a huge impact on the way I approached computer programming.

But, over the book, Pirsig is slowly going "crazy" (substitute whatever politically correct term you prefer). Which means at some ill defined point, you are reading the rants of a crazy man. Never could decide on the cross over point. Makes interpreting his philosophy challenging.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:Pirsig's Metaphysics of Quality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirsig%27s ... of_quality

I was too young when I read this book! But old enough that this refresh brought back memories. Thanks for the post, cedarhouse. Perhaps I'll read it again this summer after my own thesis is finally submitted...if that ever happens!

BTW, I hope that ninth gyuto isn't the last—life is too short. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:04 pm 

I read this also. Many years ago. Thanks for bringing it up. I think I need to read it again as a refresher. I think I'd get even more nuggets out of it now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:10 pm 

I just read the book for the first time about a month ago. My family and I do a book club and this was one of our reads. Really resonated with me. It was interesting that most of my siblings had read it in high school and reading it again in our 30's, it might well have been an entirely different book. None of them "got it" back then.

His assertion that the care, experience and effort of the maker and user of a thing imbues them with value seemed apropos.

Salem, What are you studying/thesis topic?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:57 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:Salem, What are you studying/thesis topic?

Sorry for the delay, cedarhouse—only saw this now. I'm finishing up my degree in musicology. I'm doing a study of the compositional process of Pierre Boulez, who is a 20th century French composer/conductor. I studied piano for many years, then switched to studying the theory and history of music in graduate school. Actually, my first master's was from UW-Madison...I don't think CKTG existed back then (2005-7), but I always feel a connection because of my time in the city. Anyways, I like all types of music, but Boulez happens to be an extremely avant-garde "classical" composer. My research is more of his sketches and sketch process than his finished pieces.

(You can tell I'm in the middle of writing a book-length thesis on the guy when I can't shut up after the smallest inquiry!)

I'm jealous that you have a book club. After my comprehensive exams, I have had trouble picking up books for fun, probably because I never get to talk about them with others (no more coursework). I'm hoping that changes once I officially finish and get to teach more often again. :)

This is all quite far from the topic of knives, though. Although it perhaps has something to do with the slogan "stay sharp."

BTW, Totoro, I was totally into bikes as a young adult, too—I only gave them up when I started to live in non-bike-friendly places, and then only reluctantly. I used to completely refurbish all parts of bikes using my dad's tools/garage, including sanding and repainting, and even ran a bit of an exchange and upgrade service with local friends. I also got in to woodworking, but only with the limited stuff my dad owned (mostly speaker stands and custom molds for car stereos). I miss both, and I guess cooking and knives have partially filled that desire to craft and create on a daily basis. It makes perfect sense to me that many of the chefs on this forum seem to be built in the same way: love to work in the kitchen, love to retool their knives, obsessive about their gear, and meticulous about everything to boot! It is good company. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm 

Salem Joe - I'm with you on that last comment. If you're interested in what is supposed to be a good read (and have the time and/or desire to take a break from thesis work), try "Shop Class As Soulcraft" by Matthew Crawford. A friend gave it to me a while back but it's been in my on deck pile of books - just too much to do and I only manage to get through a book every month or so these days. Looks like a great read though. Maybe I'll move it to the top of the pile along with Pirsig's book.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:19 pm 

Salem,

Interesting. I played trombone through college. Met my wife in band. But I would be BSing if I claimed to actually "know" anything about music :).

I did an undergraduate thesis in school, what a grind. Good luck!

I am fortunate because my siblings and step father all have different educational and professional backgrounds, so every book we've read has been miles off my radar. It has really kept me on my toes.

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3