It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts from a convert...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:31 pm 

My GF doesn't ask what I spent.
As long as my bills are taken care of she doesn't mind.

I have mentioned that all christmas, birthday and random gift ideas SHOULD now be gift certificates from CKTG...

She does enjoy the good food though and thinks the knifes help (ha!, I could do this with a serrated steak knife if I HAD to)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:54 pm 

My family ate out a lot until I learned to cook/love knives :twisted:

Now I keep a running total of what we are saving over eating out and use that as an excuse. My wife is generally pretty understanding, though she has learned to stop asking what I spend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 pm 

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I don't have the same challenge of keeping a spouse/significant other happy. Without that tempering influence, I can go overboard if I don't watch myself. And now the problem is finding room for all of my new knives since I have limited counter, drawer and wall space in my kitchen. Decisions...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm 

I was into pocketknives and different steels of pocketknives for many years, collecting several quality Benchmaid and Spyderco knives, but when it came to kitchen knives I always thought my Wusthof and Henckels were where it's at.

The transformation to J knives for me was, my wife and I were at a wedding reception dinner at Tsukasa, and the chef was using a Suji knife, and I was totally impressed with how effortlessly he was cutting food. The next day I started looking up J knives and that brought me to this site. A couple months later and I have ordered 7 new J knives and a full array of new stones, both for my Edgepro and freehand. It's safe to say I got the J knife fever, but I couldn't be more happier with my purchases.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:01 pm 

Nola --> Keeping her interest is definitely the way to go. Find her a "no occasion, it just seemed perfect for you" gift.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Nola --> Keep her interested in the knives and it will make future purchases much easier. I tell my wife all the time that I found another knife to buy her and I get the usual "oh, just what I wanted :roll: ". Someday I'll have to teach her how to use all of her knives. :mrgreen:

That one made me laugh. I kinda passed it by her and she didn't seem so amused haha. I have no problems with her being interested or really caring what I spend. I'm really just getting a feel for what I like right now, so I tend to buy the lower end items until I know better. I tell her about the $200-500 knives that exist and she laughs. I won't be telling her about those if I finally decide I am ready to spend that much. Cooking is a hobby we both share, so she is pretty interested in the tools and techniques too. If knives were my only hobby.... :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 am 

You guys who have understanding wives are VERY lucky. My exfinance was not so understanding of my hobby and collection of knives and handle materials. Hence why she is now my ex. She didn't much share any enthusiasm for my collection or works of art, only seeing it as a waste of time and money. Hopefully one day I'll find someone who understands it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 am 

With each purchase, I briefly feel bad that my kids aren't going to get anything from my estate when I die besides knives. At least they'll be good knives :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 am 

I still feel new to Japanese steel myself, although I guess it has been two-three hectic years now. I think I got hooked from seeing Hung Huynh on Top Chef. That got me researching the UX-10, which led me to a few forums, which got me hooked on BDL's wonderful posts, which just changed everything. Of course, Mark's first, very humble and very informative videos were a game changer, too: they stripped away nearly all of the intimidation and fostered experimentation. Since then, I've been hooked, although I have been able to restrain myself by committing to learn the basics before making bigger investments. I'm itching to upgrade a few knives, though, including my trusty tojiros and my cheap stones. They've been great for me so far, but I think it is time to make some room for newer, more delicate toys, especially while the tojiros are still near-mint for someone else. :)

Most of my friends, including my girlfriend, think I'm crazy. But there was a break-through moment at a party a year ago, when a group of guys were talking about me while I was nearby at the stove. They went on for about 30 minutes about knives—a topic they would have never even brought up previous to my growing interest. And while they were poking fun, the conversation soon turned to their own modest wish-lists (not by brand, but by "I wish I had a better X; I need to start looking for y, I prefer light vs. heavy, long vs. short, etc." Despite all the teasing, it made me feel pretty good. Obviously, this kind of interest isn't for everyone, but it was nice to feel like my own knives and habits shifted the conversation from me being crazy to them realizing there's a world of options out there that they never new existed. I think what is missing for them is the artistic aspect of it all. These are tools, yes. But they're tools with tremendous character and personality that only increases as you learn to grind, hone, polish, and repair them. For people that like to work with their hands, they just keep giving.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:16 pm 

Salem Joe said: " I think what is missing for them is the artistic aspect of it all. These are tools, yes. But they're tools with tremendous character and personality that only increases as you learn to grind, hone, polish, and repair them. For people that like to work with their hands, they just keep giving."

I totally agree with this perspective. I like working with my hands and am a gear head. I ride a classic hand-made steel frame road bicycle and like to work on it as much as ride it. I enjoy restoring mil-surplus rifles, bringing back to life the old, often beat up, pieces of wood and metal. Japanese knives speak to me in a similar way. It's the craftsmanship, artistry and melding of wood & metal that I am attracted to, made more personal in a way by the need and enjoyment of sharpening.

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next