It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts after first re-handle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 pm 

Geat job Red! Looks like you have been doing this for years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:59 pm 

Looks good to me, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm 

You would never know this is your first re handle. I think the spacer adds a classy touch. Very nicely done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:05 pm 

pdx wrote:Great work, Red.
I'd like to try this too. Do you have a link to Taz's instructions for the dowel technique?

Took me awhile to find it. I hope I can link to it correctly. I touched on this technique in this post, but didn't explain it so thoroughly.
taz575↓
Re: Bought some Handle Material

Ok I don't think that made a link. You can type that in the search and you should be able to find it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 pm 

Bikeman wrote:What kind of wood did you use for the handle section? The brass spacer is a nice touch, great job Red !

The woods are African padauk for the main part and ebony for the ferrule. The ferrule on the fish scaler is Wenge.

Thanks guys for all the kind words of my work. I really enjoy seeing everyone else's stuff here and it's nice to see mine is appreciated as well. Maybe sometime in the future I'll open it up to do some work for others. Not yet. I'm not here to take any business from anyone and I'd like to work on my designs and techniques more before I did. Frankly, to charge a fair price for this , I wouldn't make anything. I know after many more you would get more proficient at it. Honestly, whatever the guys here charge, they are earning it. For a nicely finished handle made one by one, it's a lot of detail work. However, it's fun to do and very rewarding. Looks like I will be buying some from the knives without handles section. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Honestly, whatever the guys here charge, they are earning it."

Ain't that the truth!!

"Looks like I will be buying some from the knives without handles section."

Then you'll graduate to the knife buying 301 track :-).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 am 

When I tackled a few handles, I... well... I fudged it, they look and feel decent but the picture I had in mind at the beginning is not nearly what they turned out to be.

How hard was it working with the brass. I believe taz told me it was a PITA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:50 am 

I didn't have any issues with the brass. I have a stationary sander that has a 4x20 something belt on a table plus a 6" disk on the side. Most of the shaping was done on this. Just remember you can't sand on one side or in one place on the belt too long or the wood will heat up and may develop burn marks and the metal will heat up which could discolor the metal, or melt the epoxy that you used to glue it all together. Brass is pretty soft and it sands down easy enough with the power tools. You have to scale through the sand paper grits to remove all the scratches in the brass as well as the wood. This will also remove the small brass burs that will occur. I think it's important to do the hand sanding with the paper on glass using lighter pressure. The wood will sand away faster than the metal. If you don't do it like this your lines won't be crisp and I think you would feel the metal spacer when you slide your hand along it because the wood on either side of the metal would sand away faster. I say try it. If you do it like this it's not too difficult. If you have any other. ?'s or if I didn't explain anything well enough, I'll try to clarify.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:35 am 

Great job, it turned out fantastic! And thank you for the descriptions!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:14 am 

Looks beautiful. If that's a first attempt you're gifted. Dumb question time... How do you get the copper spacer to fit everything?

Page 3 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next