It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Budget Knife?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:48 am 

?????, it seems like you're fishing around, but ultimately this will have more to do with sharpening technique than anything. There's nothing magic about a Mac that will make it better.

Taz has been very generous, both with advice and an offer of sharpening a knife for you. Just because you paid someone to sharpen your knife doesn't mean it's really optimally set up for what you want it to do -- and in fact the worst sharpening jobs I've ever had were done by "pros". At minimum, a truly expert sharpening job will let you know what you can expect out of the knife you've got.

It's amazing how very slight differences in grind and sharpening can change the feel of a knife. I've got half a dozen large chef's knives, and they all cut differently. A relatively thick knife with a very convex grind will wedge and split a bit, but it will also go through just about anything; a thin laser parts roots effortlessly, but it's also a little more squirrely with really big squashes and the like. The Artifex should be a very versatile knife, so it's worth making sure that it's set up properly. At minimum, that will help you identify what you want that might be different.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:56 am 

Thank you for your input

But do keep in mind

A customer is a customer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:14 am 

Sure, I suppose -- but it seems like the starting point of good customer service is figuring out what you need. I have no stake in this one way or another, since I'm not a party to this transaction -- but I'm very skeptical that your difficulties will be solved by sending you home with a new knife. You've been given some amazingly generous feedback to help assess why the knife you've got isn't doing what you would like it to. That's a very good start toward making a truly happy customer, not just one who hears what he wants to hear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:24 am 

i'm with mk

we're all customers here. only very few here are part of CKTG that have a stake here.

having and keeping knives is also about skill, technique, and ability to maintain and edge.

so that would entail a good chopping board, a good knife, time and patience, good skills, proper storage and sharpening stones. then after that research, there are tons of threads here and everywhere else online that'll help you in deciding what you want. it's up to you what you wanna get eventually. i only joined in forums like this to learn and help me decide.

it's not all about just the knife. the knives that have been mentioned are all great, it all depends on what you're willing to do to keep your knives that way. and within all honesty, if you don't wanna put in the effort, even a super great knife (and most likely a big price tag!) will ultimately become dull and not worth a penny in the hands of someone who can't use and respect their tools.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 am 

Getting a MAC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 pm 

Mac makes a very good knife for the price. Good choice.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2