It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "precious princess" turns into a beast
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:I guess I really baby all new knives for a couple hours, and ramp up from there as I see what kind of abuse/use they can handle.

Yeah this is very true. But after the first sharpening you just wanna see what it can do lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:20 am 

I baby mine for about a week, from then on they go into rotation. From home use to being on the line, and also those good old days where its crazy busy and you fall behind on prep, so you open you knife bag and you chose your destiny...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:22 am 

I baby it as I get it out of the box and then all bets are off!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:48 am 

I baby all my knives to some degree, even though they get a lot of use. I alternate between my Teruyasu Santoko and Masakage Yuki bunka for the line during service. On my prep station I use my 270 EbonyKonoHD2 gyo/funy for skinning and portioning salmon sides along with tuna. I use my KonoFujiBlue#2 Bunka for portioning snapper sides and most vegetable/starches prep. I bust out my Kanehiro240AS for doing large 5 gallon buckets of mirepoix for stocks and all braises.
I wipe'em down after every completed task, then store away. But I will not hesitate to grab the nearest knife when rushed into a task for a colleague.
I'm almost 100% sure I'll be ordering the Teruyasu240 this week, AND that will be cared for on a whole other level, while becoming my #1 prep knife.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 am 

I don't baby my knives. I don't mistreat them either, but, in the end, they are tools. They sleep when I sleep, and they work when I work, cutting through things like nobody's business. At the end of the night, they get the TLC that they earned.

I would like to think they live a very happy life being utilized to their fullest capabilities.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:11 pm 

FingerCots wrote:I baby all my knives to some degree, even though they get a lot of use. I alternate between my Teruyasu Santoko and Masakage Yuki bunka for the line during service. On my prep station I use my 270 EbonyKonoHD2 gyo/funy for skinning and portioning salmon sides along with tuna. I use my KonoFujiBlue#2 Bunka for portioning snapper sides and most vegetable/starches prep. I bust out my Kanehiro240AS for doing large 5 gallon buckets of mirepoix for stocks and all braises.
I wipe'em down after every completed task, then store away. But I will not hesitate to grab the nearest knife when rushed into a task for a colleague.
I'm almost 100% sure I'll be ordering the Teruyasu240 this week, AND that will be cared for on a whole other level, while becoming my #1 prep knife.

I'll happily take that Kono bunka off your hands, now that it'll be playing second fiddle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:16 pm 

I baby my knives at first that "break" in period then all bets are off and I start chopping with that thing :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:19 pm 

So it seems pretty much everyone gets over the babying period pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 pm 

Maybe as you go you learn the limits of what a particular knife will stand for, and you get over the paranoia that you'll chip it if you slice through a carrot too hard. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:40 am 

I baby my new 270 Harner it just looks so good but I know he makes them to do work.

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next