It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Poorman's Strop
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:13 am 

This is my Poorman's strop. A trader joes paper bag loaded with green compound. Really good to finish tip repair and smooth out polish the spine.

In this case I was using it to finish some real dirt cheap serrated steak knives. Don't want to take a chance and mess up the leather. You can see some gashes in the paper and that was after 1 steak knife.

Use a couple drops of mineral oil to blend the compound in. Not too much since it's still paper. So it's good for those 2 tasks or if you don't have a strop at all. You could just cut the paper and tape it to a stone.

Post subject: Re: The Poorman's Strop
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:33 pm 

interesting, i'll have to try that. i have used newspaper and cardboard before. i think it was Jason B. who mentioned in one of his videos that you can strop on the palm of your hand. i tried that too with some success.

thanks for sharing.

pat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 pm 

I started out stropping on my blue jeans, you'd be surprised how well it works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:28 pm 

"I started out stropping on my blue jeans, you'd be surprised how well it works."

+1

I make my wife nuts, I regularly strop my EDC on my jeans while I am watching TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm 

Jeff and Cedar, thanks, i hadn't heard that one. going to try it out today!

pat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:44 pm 

Yeah blue jeans is pretty popular too. I tend never to have newspaper or blue jeans on hand. But paper and cardboard I got plenty. So it is about using what you have available. Some people hand massage their leather strops using the natural oil as a conditioner.

I like the paper and cardboard trick when I know what I am needing to strop will tear and cut the media I am using. If you had a like a salvation army jeans you could cut and load them with compound or spray too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:18 pm 

i use blue jeans too. although the function is dualistic with drying ;) the paper seems like a fun one to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:20 am 
Forum Moderator

You need to be aware that for waterstones you should NEVER expose them - especially any synthetic stones and many Japanese naturals to oils fats or grease. I would include mineral oil in this group so resting a piece of paper that has mineral oil on it on a waterstone is NOT a good idea.

Poor man's strop. Consider just a piece of paper. MOST paper will have some abrasive content on its own.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:14 am 

I have made some denim strops recently with mothers mag polish for compound, shocking how well it works. I have one bare too I use for burr removal without polishing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:21 am 

Very true. In those cases just skip the oil no need to make it perfect and rub compound in. Or just use and old useless book, shoe box, cutting board or DVD cases to give you some height so you can strop.

In this situation I was just using the edge of the counter so I didn't need any height.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next