It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:24 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Aoto has landed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 pm 

Metalmaster delivered the goods. I had trouble processing my order from the web-site...it really is a bear to navigate. He upgraded my shipping free of charge. It took about 10 days to arrive safely. I got a box stuffed with japanese newspaper and enclosed in the box was a stone in another box...

Very nice stone, she weights in at a little over four and a half pounds. I haven't lapped it with the Atoma yet. Before I use up any precious stone I'm getting a feel for it on my lowly Shun Classic box set. I actually like the six inch slicer, it's a good tomato knife. It ought to polish up nicely.

The stone seems very hard, it develops a very fine mind. It's my first natural so I don't know what to expect. I like that the particles released vary in size, it makes different sounds. Polishing speed seems fairly quick it removed 1k nubatama bamboo scratches fairly quickly, it cuts much slower but it does seem to have a magical feel to it.

Considering that this stone might be in the 2k range or greater I think it's a good value, it's nearly twice the price of the Nubatama 2k but also much more stone. I like the smell of the stone...taking a whiff creates that nice musty vintage record store aroma.

Anybody considering a natural stone that Mark or Ken doesn't offer should seriously consider his shop.

Post subject: Re: The Aoto has landed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:44 pm 

Aoto stones are some of my favorite, great edge for meats and general cutting, plus as you mentioned it is a very enjoyable experience. The smell alone makes it worth every penny. I have a Monzen Aoto from Ken and it is one of my favorite stones, mine is about 1500-2k and leaves a mean toothy edge. Nubatama 1200 is a noteworthy mention it's pretty impressive for a synthetic stone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I Do carry Aoto's and probably have the largest selection of types and sizes of aotos anywhere. Just sayin'

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 pm 

How much for a big Aoto Ken? I've got a feeling I'd like two in my collection. Bigger the better. Also what would be a good stone to use after the Aoto, something that doesn't cost over 300$ anything?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]