It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: TF 240 V. Goko W#1 240
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:28 pm 

In case there is interest in this topic. I was thinking of contrasting the Teruyasu Fujiwara V.Goko W#1. Many people have commented that they find them similar to one another. I have an initial look at the profiles of these knives via tracing while I was at work the other day. If I get a response in the favorable, I will do a more in depth head to head.

The TF is a good bit bigger, with a larger belly. I think the Goko has more of a Funayuki look to it, but maybe that is just me.
These knives are handmade, and these are just my particular examples, so variations are possible.

Post subject: Re: TF 240 V. Goko W#1 240
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:50 pm 

Go for it Dan, it should be an interesting match up, especially since the Fujiwara is twice the price of the Goko . I have been using the Goko for over a year and it is a durable, easy to sharpen and maintain blade. Let's see how the much harder tempered white 1 steel Fujiwara does in in comparison .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:27 pm 

I love these kinds of comparisons. Although I love to root for the underdog, I like the profile presented by the Fujiwara a fair amount more. To my eye is looks a little more Eastern in profile, while the Goko seems to take on a little more of the Euro "tip up" profile. I like a flat knife that can get down and dirty on the board, moving quickly through produce is what I am known for at work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:46 pm 

Alright, look for this write up in a couple weeks. I am going out of town this week, and have an update on Kanehiro AS I want to finish first. I guess I will put it in the "customer reviews" section.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 pm 

Hey Dan:if you get a chance do a similar blade tracing of your Anryu 240 and the Goko. I just did it on the 2 that I have and the blade edge profiles and the heel heights are identical. The spine of the Goko starts to drop as it comes to the tip quicker and is more Funiyuki like as you have mentioned. The Anryu is a little thinner behind the edge at the tip however. The blade tracings really show how the profiles differ from each blacksmith. It is an simple and easy way to compare blades, thanks for bring it to the forum. Bill B.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:08 pm 

Bikeman - Here are some cell phone shots for the comparison you asked for, hope it helps shed some light for you.

This is the tracing, it got wet, my apologies.

Goko W#1 240mm gyuto choil, consequently the most difficult choil shot I have ever had to get into focus, haha. Very much thicker than Anryu B#2 Perhaps, could even use a thinning, but the added meat I think lends durability.

Anryu B#2 Hammered 240mm gyuto choil shot, much smoother. Not as thin as a Yuki, but pretty thin, in my opinion.

Board shot of Goko W#1 for a scale, this is the SS Aomori board from CKTG.com

Board shot of Anryu B#2 for a scale, the board again is the Aomori SS from CKTG.com

The Anryu is slimmer at the neck and longer overall than the Goko. My Goko is apparently a giant I measured it long ago at 53mm, looking to be quite tall compared to the Anryu. The Anryu's long, thin neck give it the appearance of a much longer length at the edge. In reality, they are comparable. You can also see in the tracing that the Anryu favors a more Eastern shape than the Goko, which is quite pointy. The Goko weighed in at 202g, while the Anryu is 194g. The knives share similar thickness at the neck coming out of the handle. The Anryu comes down more quickly to around 2mm where the Goko holds a slightly larger taper for slightly longer. Both knives go down in thinness at the tip where the spine begins to hit the grind. Both of these knives have excellent grinds. Perhaps the Goko has a little bit more noticeable step down on the grind but it is really slight. The Goko is also a little thicker so I give it license for a little fatness down the grind. Both knives are outstanding performers. The Anryu eats onions alive and despite being a bit light (In my example) handles tougher things well. The Anryu is THIN at the edge and tip, the tip being one of the finest I have ever used; I would exercise great caution in threatening things like squash and melon with it, it requires a deft technique to avoid snapping the tip off in the board or on the stones and chipping the edge off in things like butternuts or perhaps even firmer turnips and rutabega. The Goko, conversely, I harbor no reservations on taking it to town agains the harder ingredients. It exhibits outstanding edge retention for W#1, particularly at a moderate HRC. I can sharpen the knife to 6K - 8K and beat the crap out of it all day, it loves it. I have tipped it once when I went to put it up on the shelf over my station. I was upset for my carelessness but I fixed the damage without issue. I like them both, they are both great. If you have $239.00 USD get an Anryu. If you have slightly less, get a Goko. both are great examples of quality.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit. It just sort of flowed. If you have any other questions of the knives, please, don't hesitate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

There are points made in this thread/review that I entirely & sometimes strongly disgree with, but with that said, I'll chalk it up to variance present between handmade knives. For example, look at how much broader this tip third is as compared to the tapered pointier tip of the example DAN has, and furthermore, how similar the overall profile is to my Teruyasu. Again, I said similar... not identical.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:51 pm 

Melampus wrote:There are points made in this thread/review that I entirely & sometimes strongly disgree with, but with that said, I'll chalk it up to variance present between handmade knives. For example, look at how much broader this tip third is as compared to the tapered pointier tip of the example DAN has.

Mel, I would love to hear you weigh in, the variation in hand forged knives is, at times, as you said, quite profound. Specifically, your TF seems to follow my example rather closely where my Goko is quite a bit different from that example. If you feel anything I have put forward is mistaken, please let me know, so we could all learn from the information.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:23 am 

The spine on my Goko definitely tends toward the funayuki look of Dan's, though perhaps a little less pointy. It looks pointier than Mel's. I'll try to do a tracing of my Goko and Anryu and add it here for comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:34 am 

Dan, I like your diagram, but you may consider remaking it with the following revision: usually, the profiles are much easier compared if you align the majority of the spine along the top of the blade. I think many of the drastic differences in the two edge profiles is due to the fact that you were aligning the choils or the handles or something rather than the spines while tracing. I don't mean to claim one or the other is more "accurate" relative to use, but just that aligning the spine tends to create the most neutral comparison of the actual blade profiles, separate from the handles or how the knives themselves actually feel in the hand and on the board.

I'll also chime in that I'm excited about this comparison. I understand why there may be many reservations, of course, but it still can be "fun" if done with a modicum of awareness of basic differences. The comparison, after all, is based on the user's perspective and shouldn't be confused with an objective rating. Mel's own descriptive posts always try to remind us of this fact, and I can only assume that his disagreements here maintain this caveat, given his candid and useful advice about knives of all prices and types elsewhere based on his own very unique preferences, habits, and experience. If not, I'd appreciate being corrected here (and elsewhere). I, for one, always appreciate hearing when someone really enjoys a knife regardless of reputation or price, especially when they have other knives that are "higher rated" according to whatever reputation/price algorithm.

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next