It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tetsuhiro Hammered 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:27 am 

This review covers the Tetsuhiro Hammered 210mm gyuto included in the platinum member pass around. The product page can be seen here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tehawh1.html

Again, thanks to Mark for making these knives available to the forum for review. I really am sorry about the tip on this one... :oops:

Disclaimer: this review is based on a single meal prep for a home user so please take this with a grain of salt. Since the itinerary for this pass around gives me five days with five knives I hope to dedicate one night to each knife. Accordingly edge retention is outside the scope of this review. Of the pass around knives this is the only one I sharpened in order to patch up a f-up. The knife took an amazing edge easier than most any other knife I can think of. Very impressive edge taking.

The first two knives I reviewed for the platinum member pass around were very good knives but they lacked in a cohesive and singular vision for aesthetic and performance. The Tetsuhiro is much more cohesive. The aesthetic is focused, complex, and interesting while the performance, in a surprising way, is very good.

My favorite knife, aesthetically, is the Anryu Hammered. This knife has a very similar look. Like the Anryu, the Tetsuhiro is hammered, and like the Anryu it is a highly refined baked on KU type finish. The Tetsuhiro's finish is a lighter gray, compared to the Anryu's blue-grey. The hammer marks in the Anryu are randomly placed, small in diameter, deep, and smooth. The Tetsuhiro's marks are shallower in depth, wider in diameter, more evenly spaced, and while the hammer marks are smooth at a distance there is a ring of sharp raised steel in the center of the hammer marks...similar to a high speed shot of a rock splashing in water, there is a sharp splash at the point of impact surounded by the wave produced by the impact. It is a very cool effect.

The knife has a nicely radiused spine and eased choil area. The one tiny drawback aesthetically is the handle could afford a bit of sanding.

Performance wise, the knife sharpened very easily. What stunned me the moment I picked it up was how heavy the knife is. It only weights 5.7oz, but it is quite blade heavy and feels heavy in the hand. The grind is...generous. Despite that the knife performs well. It is no laser, but it wedges much less than its girth would imply.

Overall the knife is a looker. Performance wise it is in a class with knives like the Goko, good but with the trade offs implicit in being a heavy. This is probably my favorite knife from the platinum member pass around so far, but there are two more to go, and I saved the knives I am most excited about till last...

Overview:

Choil shot:

Close up of the hammer marks:

Balance point, the knife is balanced on the cork:

I don't plan to use this knife again but I think I may do an additional entry on it later in the week. This knife begs comparison with a few other knives...we'll see if I have time. ;)

Post subject: Re: Tetsuhiro Hammered 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:44 am 

Cedar, your starting to make me look bad :geek: . Good review!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:11 am 

Those hammer marks are really neat, and you did a good job highlighting them in that picture. Thanks for the review. Looks like a nicely finished knife, and forward-balanced for a 210. It really looks more like a 240 to me in those pictures due to the handle size and balance point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:15 am 

Thank you for a great for the review cedarhouse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:49 am 

Nice review. The blade looks really refined here. I like the hammering they did a cool effect with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:33 pm 

Thanks again for the review series. I've always had my eye on this knife but there isn't much out there review-wise. It certainly is a looker and hits that nice balance between rustic and refined. Any other thoughts regarding performance? In contrast to the first two knives? Profile? I know it is hard to hit on everything with only one use...

:D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 pm 

Thanks all for the kind words!

Jeff, at least you didn't drop a pass around knife :oops:. I got penance to do.

estayton/FoW, I was really impressed with those hammer marks, they are unique. And I do think the balance point is a big part of the "heavy" feeling of the knife, it is not all that heavy really.

btm, the knife performs very well, but it is thick so it will not laser through ingredients. IMHO, on the balance, its performance is at least equal to the Goko and Itto-Ryu though each knife will perform better in some applications and worse in others. The profile is nice. I like a longish sweet spot. The belly is about right for me, it rocks well, but is not so pronounced as to make the tip difficult to use in delicate applications. Overall I think the knife does a lot of things right. The thickness is not a fault, but it is something a buyer should be aware of otherwise they risk disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:58 pm 

Thanks for the extra info. I guess I was curious if there was anything beyond f+f that justifies the much higher price tag... From what you are saying it sounds to me like it would just come down to user preference more than a significant gain in performance. The profile on the Tetsuhiro does look really good to me. Nice long sweet spot with a gentle belly. For me it also hits aesthetically, but I'm not sure I'd shell out the extra $$$ for looks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:45 pm 

I think that is a fair perspective. Though I do think this knife's price tag is warranted, but there are better values out there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:14 pm 

The knife has excellent F&F and is a very nice knife but I feel it is slightly overpriced. Something like $285-295 for the 240 would make it more appealing.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next