It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 5 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: >> Teruyasu 240 Gyuto <<
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:09 am 

Mel,

How are you getting those great pictures?? Is that under a digital type microscope?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

NEPASTOVUS <> Freehand with synthetic & Japanese natural whetstones. I reckon it’s around 11-13 dps, and I sharpen my double-bevel knives with a 70/30 right handed bias unless the primary bevel geometry is extremely different. I just sharpened a cleaver for a friend, and as they are so tall – thus the spine so far from the stone, I found myself questioning my angle. For shits & giggles, I have an angle cube so I affixed it to the cleaver. At every point of travel I could see, I was grinding at a dead solid 11 degrees… it’s just hard wired into my wrists. FYI: I did back off more obtusely for the cleaver.

Anyhow, I employed a “roll” to my strokes which is exactly what I’ve trained myself AGAINST doing for decades. You can see in the photo they are not clean cut bevels… by design. It’s not easy for me to purposely employ “slop”. I cut a clean bevel to the edge, and once I’m satisfied with that, I then employ edge trailing strokes at a very deliberate speed in which I purposely roll the blade down towards the spine as I lap the stone to round off the shoulder into the grind’s convex. I should have a han han to do so, but it’s never in stock. I’m not exactly replicating the original grind, but I’m extending the time in which it will take for the original geometry to get too far out of whack.

JAMIE <> Every & any knife related photo &/or video you see of mine on this Forum is captured on my 2 year-old iPhone 5 (first gen, not 5s).

I do have a mac daddy digital SLR, but I'm never home to use it. I've had it for years, but have yet the time to take knife photos with it. I do have the VEHO microscope <--link , but I have never posted any photos from it. I also have a very good friend that's an Executive Producer for a Polo network that has 4k video equipment that I have access to, as well. I just never have the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:56 am 

Thank you Mel,

I had no idea my iphone could do that. I am going to try it in the morning. Sometimes the answer is right in front of our noses.... or in this case pressed to my ear. I hope to take some pictures of my new knives and perhaps some of my own sharpening results. Thanks again.

Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 am 

4k-nives wrote:This is a great looking and performing knife.

Mel - It's funny that you bring up this point about the machi. When I first started rehandling knives about two years ago, I copied the Japanese and left the machi exposed. However, after my first set that I ever made for Mark, he told me to sink it in all the way in into the handle. He said that most people didn't understand the purpose of the exposure. So I have been doing it that way ever since. I do however feel the handle to choil fit before I glue anything in. I will hold the blade to where I feel the knife is at a comfortable fit as the glue sets. I use 5min epoxy which helps.

My first ever J-knife I got from another website that deals with some custom knives. The blond buffalo horn was next to a handle that was chipped and cracked where the wood meets the ferrule. . But the knife is/was awesome and will be a part of my life for a very long, long time. The blade itself is impeccable and that's what matters, right? Not going over the handle with a magnifying glass, sometimes, but just the joy you get when you get a chance to use a petty to cut up some chickens and how work turns into play... I made the mistake of sending back the blond ferrule/chipped handle, and got back a black one, and will forever regret that decision because while I got a technically more 'perfectly finished' knife, I sent back the character and the body of a blade that would have been 'mine', for something that is a little more polished, a little less unique, and the same damn steel, but without the same soul.

I definitely didn't understand what was being offered... and what I had in my hands when I worked with it. Those slight chips on the ho wood underneath the buffalo horn? The exposed machi? irrelevant now. But at the time, I wanted a "perfect knife". Jon was more than accomodating... but I will probably feel like an asshole for a very, very long time in nit-picking what I had in that first knife. The handle 'leaked' so every time I washed the knife, I had some stuff creeping out from the handle that I had to work hard to clean off, but that's another issue entirely. But the machi made a ton of sense, and I was one of those dummies that didn't understand what a machi is to begin with.

I think "machi" should be addressed in the sharpening thread as an aspect of how you might approach sharpening a knife on the "off-side" when you angle the blade to your stone It's hard when you're talking about a balance point that can shift in a matter of milimeters, literally.

Sharpening with a "roll" I understand is scary... I turned some Napa Style 1st edition cold hardened steel knives into awesome cleavers by rounding the edge and working long and hard while perfecting my motion. I think the knives I got were a test run where they were refined afterwards for his next Costco roll-out... That roll while I was learning to control my wrists worked on these super thick santokus that are now my cleavers, but only because my screwing-up created a very sturdy edge by accident... Pretty sure Chiarello didn't intend his first santokus to be more than a market test but they are thick as heck and after wearing away a crap ton on a norton stone I was able to turn them into somewhat awesome cleavers in the 240 and 210. I gave away the shorter one as a gift to a friend after re-grinding and thinning the edge and he's been using it as his 'happy-place' knife for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:10 pm 

Very cool read Jeffuith. Perfect example of how we all start at a place of ignorance and miss conception in addictions such as these and learn valuable lessons as we go. My idea of the "perfect" knife has evolved so drastically since I first began this journey. I never thought a knife of all things could have such soul and a uniqueness as I now know. I look at them completely different now and look far more deeply than just something to cut up food. It is amazing when you find that particular piece that just talks to you and you know is yours alone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:04 am 

I just received mine today, and am super excited to get to know them more intimately. :mrgreen:

I asked for a few tweaks -- slightly longer handle on the 240 + machi, along with the lighter horn ferrule. It's a bit shorter than his typical 240's I think, but still has a balance point slightly forward of my pinch grip. And that's the 150mm petty. I can already tell that petty is going to get some heavy use, that thing is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:48 am 

I LOVE the horn!!!

Mowgs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:56 am 

Really nice. Is the profile of your knife a little flatter than most T-F?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:14 am 

That profile looks MAD flat compared to mine! Let us know what you think of it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:49 am 

Thanks! And good call on the profile, it's a question for me too. There's a really weird spot about 2.25" up from the heel where it transitions that I've never seen before.

BUT I've only tested on some very basic rocking and push cutting, made french fries tonight to try out the box edge. I had some custom requests that make this kind of not the same knife Mel had to begin with in the 240 I think.

I just edited this post because I don't want to get too deep into 'review' territory until I've really had a chance to spend more time. And I don't want to hijack Melampus' thread.

So i'll just say thanks for the tips from JeffB and Mel etc that led me to ownership here, and yes, I agree, they did an awesome job with the horn. In fact I think it probably started out as one piece, and when I look at both of them close together I can see the colors fading from the skinny petty into the larger gyuto ferrule. It's kinda awesome. But there's so much more to get into.

Thanks again!

Page 5 of 5 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5