It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tell me about the Shapton Pro 8k
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:12 am 

I am looking to get a 8k-ish stone and with my growing set of Shapton pro stones I was thinking of continuing that trend. My issue is the feel of the higher grit shaptons, the 5k feels like a resin bonded stone and while it works very well it's not very enjoyable.

Truthfully, I would like to go with a full Chosera line but the cost is the only thing holding me back. To me they are the best stones but I feel like I should wait to see what they are hopefully releasing soon.

My other consideration is I sharpen a large volume of folding knives and hunting/survival knives, I don't want to mix and match but I've also been thinking very hard about the Shapton glass line.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Tell me about the Shapton Pro 8k
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 am 
Forum Moderator

The 5k pro doesn't give a lot of feedback, perhaps the least amount in the series, however it is a pivotal stone for the series. The 8k gives much better feedback as does the 15k pro. The 8k is a little more 'delicate'. The 5k also feels a good bit like the 30k but of course not as fine. If you like the Choceras, check out the 8k Snow white too.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:49 pm 

The Snow White has been on my list for a while but it seems it too has become a bit pricy, hope Naniwa doesn't start jacking up the prices on all stones.

I'm guessing your referring to the slightly softer nature of the 8k Shapton pro?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 pm 

Wow Jason, as much as I've heard about the Snow White I never would have thought that you of all people wouldn't have one! I bought one about a year and a half ago and have probably only used it two or three times. I just don't have much reason to go that high.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

A bit hard to say. I come from a perspective of someone who uses these stones AND cuts the stones too. So the 8k chips more easily than the 5k. The 5k is a harder stone and the feedback is much better than the 5k. If you are highly dependent on feedback the 5k Pro is a bit hard to use - a bit like driving on ice. The 8k does give feedback. This is just anecdotal, but the 8k Shapton has a history of breaking a lot from people dropping it. A jinx of sorts that has no logic behind the observation at all. It's still a hard stone but not as hard as the 5k. The 15k is slightly more muddy, but these differences are fine nuances. The snow white is harder than the 5k cho roughly like the 10k chocera and fits well between the 2. The 8k Nubatama is more like the snow white than the 8k Pro.

A while back someone (Pam) whose opinions I respect enjoyed using a Tsushima nagura stone on the snow white. Haven't gotten around to trying it :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:10 pm 

I have my 6k Arashiyama and 10k imanishi but they are a different class of stone.

I really like the 5k pro, it produces great edges and in most cases I can deburr on the stone which is a big plus. The Snow White would probably combo well with my 3k Chosera but I think I will wait on that and stick with the Shapton Pro 8k for now.

It would be awesome if Pam was active here. I have gained so much great insight from her.

Truthfully, I sometimes don't know why I start these threads, I know what I am going to pick before I even click post. I typically do about a month or two of research on stones I'm interested in before making a choice but the information is often limited in detail and there are not many videos to pick from. I will eventually own every stone, it's just always a tough choice on which one is next :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:08 am 
Forum Moderator

I know what you mean about owning almost every stone. I own ALL the Glassstones, Pro stones, Nubatamas, Choceras and many more. In some instances, I've owned them since they came out (Choceras, GlassStones and of course recently Nubatamas). It's been a long road and I still feel like I've just begun. I think you will find the Pro 8k a good stone if you are coming into it with a precise edge so the 5k pro and 8k pro do work well together. If the edge is less precise and you enjoy the feel and feedback of a chocera, you will like the 8k Snow white. It's hard to just have one choice. My very first Japanese stones that I owned were the Shapton Pro stones - maybe 10 years ago :) Your first stones do influence your sharpening style. I see a 15k pro in your future :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:42 am 

I have bought and sold many different stones to find the ones I like the best. I have bought some of the same stones twice because I didn't know how much I liked them until they were gone, but that's what it took for me to learn. I can't even imagine how many stones the two of you have between you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 am 

Which reminds me, whatever happened to Sadden?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:20 am 

He drowned in Ken's emulsions when his tool box feel over. :mrgreen: Man that dude had a stock pile!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next