It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tanaka Kurouchi 240MM Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 am 

Picked this knife up on Forum special. This first post is an initial impressions kind of thing. I will follow up with more informed commentary after actual use ITK.

Stats....
Length on blade - 243mm
Length Overall - 15 3/4in
Spine @ Base -a hair more than 3mm, little to no distal taper
Height @ Heel - 52mm
Handle diameter - 3 1/8in
Exposed Neck - 11 to 12mm
Weight - 180g 6.35oz +/-

San Mai construction. Aogomi #2 62-63 HRC. I'm going to call the cladding Iron, please, shoot me down if I am wrong.
This is just going to be a flowing list, excuse the poor typing and disorder.

Initial OOTB impressions.
-Nice Kurouchi, well done and rustic.
-Handle, cheap ho wood mass produced handle, however, excellent install. Care was taken to shim up the tang and seal up the install, no horrible gobs of glue, nice and flush with the machi. There is a distinct step down onto the ferrule, which will require sanding, if it bothers you.
Ferrule- Disgusting plastic, but the install is as good as the handle, unlike the Kurouchi Nakiri, on which the ferrule arrived broken OOTB.
Spine and Choil- need some attention. not ghastly but they will lay a blister on you after a few hours.

The blade is very well ground, the tip, however, needs a bit of love to be that "needle tip" people look for, not a lot, about 30 seconds on a 140 grit and it is perfect. The edge OOTB, is terrible; not surprising. The Blue #2 at 62/63 yields quickly to a 1k stone and takes a generous steepness, Durability TBD. I took the edge all the way up through 6K and stropped on balsa with 1M compound and plain leather. Sharpness, obviously, is amazing. What it makes of a day's work remains to be seen.

Initial cuts seem to lend an issue with reactivity off the bat, <1 minute to discolor. I would say this could be common of virgin steel.

In a nutshell....
The Tanaka Kurouchi seems to have what would be hardest for a home user to replicate, that is a good grind. All the other issues I have found with it can be fixed with some sandpaper and a bit of tape. It is a good knife for someone to customize in their personality without having their own forge. I see myself easing the spine and choil, and maybe putting a new handle on it. For the price and a minimal investment, I think it will look and perform in the $200-$300 price range with no issue at all. More to come.......

Post subject: Re: Tanaka Kurouchi 240MM Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 am 

I do not think this knife has a machi. Of all the Kurouchi knives it appears only Takeda employs a machi.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:11 am 

I suppose when I take the handle off I will know for sure, it just looked at a glance that the tang is not as wide as the neck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:17 am 

Please update after you have some use. Blue makes me weak in the knees so I like hearing about how it holds up. Thanks for the preview.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 pm 

Thanks for the write up!

If you have the means and time, I would love to see a choil shot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:Thanks for the write up!

If you have the means and time, I would love to see a choil shot.

I'm working on getting a camera for that kind of stuff. PM me your email and I can send you a cell phone shot of it, if you would like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:57 pm 

Great write up Dan.

My review is very similar to Dans.

OOTB impressions, The knife defiantly has that hand made feel and soul about it, Kurouchi finish is good.

F&F- Below average/Average, see pics.
Sharpness- Not very good, its gonna need a trip to the stones. (No big deal)
handle- typical d shaped ho wood with plastic Ferrule, the Ferrule is plastic and has a step down from the handle (Ferrule does not sit flush with handle) but like Dan said the instal and fit is very good, the handle is on straight and the gaps are filled.

F&F, one side of the blade has whats appears to be hand hammering marks.

My choil is very sharp, there is a bur left on it from the grind, (choil might be sharper than the knife lol) easy fix though with some sand papper.

Knife profile, here is a pic with the knife back on its heel. Not a huge flat sweet spot, this knife should do well if your a rocker.

overall shot of the blade.

handle install.

Choil shot, the knife seems decently thin behind the edge, with a good bit of convexing to the grind, once its sharpened I think the knife will perform well.

After I sharpen it and get some use behind me with it, I will reply back with some more insight, for know though this is my OOTB impressions.

Hutch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:22 pm 

Thanks for posting some photographs Hutch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 am 

Update to the initial impressions......

This knife has a fair few issues OOTB. Poor edge, poor handle/ferrule, poor tip, and rough choil. After a little time investment to clear up those issues, which I feel that I don't really need to go into........

The knife, for me, has been a champion.

Very minimal reactivity, even leaving it out on the community block to be raped did not cause it to rust after an initial break in. A good five minutes to get to it, at least.

After a full sharpening and work on the tip this knife cuts everything I have put under it with ease. As another user said, it goes through the carrots, loves them. I found it to be great on breaking down salmon filets, skinning/portioning were no issue at all. Brunoise onion and pepper, celery radish,etc..... piece of cake. Diced up about 40# of yukon potatoes today, I have to say, it gets a bit sticky after about 20#, haha. The knife is a featherweight to me and causes no fatigue in use.

Edge retention on plastic, well, to be "real", it sucks. There you go. On wood it is a totally different story, lasts all day and most of tomorrow.

I really don't know what else to say. Bottom line is, if you have the time to break this knife out of its shell and dress it up right it will be a great knife for you. Every cook that picked it up had a compliment for it at work. It cuts well after a little TLC. The handle I can live with for now. The ferrule is the real downer there. Great knife for the forum special. No match for knives in the $200 range.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 am 

Nice review guys, looks like it has some real potential. Those flaws are fairly common and easily remedied.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next