It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tanaka Ginsan handles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:34 pm 

Awesome Mark! Thanks a lot. That just about puts any reservations of mine to bed, especially with Tim vouching for the handle quality.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:27 pm 

Do you expect to get a 150 petty in this line?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 am 

+1 to Taz575's post. It is everything Tim says about it and more!I recently added a Tanaka Sekiso gyuto to my growing CKTG collection and the fit and finish on the handle and blade exceeded my expectations. The grind on the blade is very even with great convexing. The handle could be a little larger but overall very well done. I made the D handle more lefty friendly with 5 minutes of sanding of the D ridge. Th blade comes out of the box very sharp and it takes a scary sharpe edge with little effort on a 5k stone. The blade profile on the new Ginsan looks impressive from Mark's photos. The 240 Ginsan specs show the blade to be a little thinner at the spine and overall the knife weight is a little lighter. Will the G3 steel be as easy to sharpen and will it have as good edge holding as it's Sekiso brother? Looks like a winner!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:25 am 

looks like i found my next stainless purchases. tanaka ginsan! =D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:20 pm 

These handles are buffalo horn. I just removed the handle last week. As far as quality goes, the handle itself is constructed well. I used it as a replacement on a knife that originally came with plastic.
The installation is not fantastic. It's functional for a home cook but came loose after 6 months use in the restaurant. It just needs knocked off and some better epoxy applied to the tang to secure the handle a bit better. This knife is well worth the money and is extremely stain resistant.

Here is a link to some more pics. This is my 240mm which measured 258mm ootb. Very large blade which I personally favor.
tanaka-ginsanko-wip-t2029.html

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2