It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tanaka 150mm Damascus Petty
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:00 pm 

I ordered this petty despite the lack of feedback on the store section of the site. It had the features I was looking for, thin blade profile, relatively tall blade, and a good carbon core (Blue #2).

The knife is quite sharp out of the box, but it is a little toothy. Still good enough to massacre hanging newsprint.

Fit and finish are quite good, and the first thing you will notice is how incredibly light this knife is. It is literally like using an exacto knife. This is an AMAZING tool for garnishes, and because the blade is so thin, and fairly tall for its whole length, it is also fantastic for plating. The blade is incredibly thin, this guy is a laser in the petty department. That said, the blade is surprisingly stiff, and just compliant enough to make cleaning out chiles a breeze. The handle is D shaped ho wood, and buffalo horn. The choil is much too sharp out of the box, easy fix, I will also be relieving the spine a bit once I swing by the hardware store for some decent wet/dry sandpaper.

The core steel is blue #2, but the damascus cladding is something else, the exposed core steel is noticeably darker, even on the spine.

Overall, this is an outstanding knife, and it serves multiple roles. It is extremely capable for mincing, and in hand paring, as well as peeling, or katsuramuki cuts even with the 50/50 edge. It is micro beveled out of the box, so it retains it's edge really nicely. This would be a great line knife for most tasks (My Aogami Richmond Laser serves that role for me), especially where space is at a premium. It would be a good sandwich knife too, it laughs off bread and tomatoes like they don't even exist. I can't wait to get a really fine (8K grit) edge on it, because this is going to be my primary paring and garnish cutting knife.

Overall, this knife is a great value. It is the most agile knife I've ever used. It's damascus cladding is very nice to look at, the kanji looks especially well done, with it's rather dramatic "cursive" look, and the continuously curved nature of the blade shape (almost no flat spot at all) lends it to excellent draw cutting capability. At $120 it is in sort of the mid range for this size petty, and it performs very well. I would recommend it to anyone, especially those of us who've found that a paring knife is almost useless in a working kitchen, and never used at all at home. I find myself reaching for this baby all the time. The cladding steel is quite reactive, and it's worthwhile to wife this knife in between every piece of food, something I typically do anyway, unless I'm making mirpoix. For plating you should be wiping whatever you are using after each ingredient anyway, so it's a lot less of a PITA than you'd think.

I also have a 6.5" Shun Prestige Utility, and a Shun Classic Ultimate Utility (the best sandwich knife in the world), and this knife in every aspect contends easily with them, except in fit and finish, which everyone knows is Shun's biggest selling point. People knock them for being a "big" brand, but their knives are impeccably constructed. The Tanaka is so much lighter than the Shun, that It's almost funny.

I'd give it 4.75 stars out of 5. Simply because the choil and spine are really not just rough, they are actually pretty sharp.

Post subject: Re: Tanaka 150mm Damascus Petty
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:16 pm 

Awesome review, I'm looking to getting a petty and have this one on my short list. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:18 am 

Now that I've been using it every day for a week, my thoughts are the same. I love it. It's a lot of fun to use. I believe the cladding to be ductile iron, and it is super reactive. It patinas quickly, and unevenly. I wound up knocking down the patina with 00 steel wool, and forcing a patina with mustard. Mustard seems to work better than even straight vinegar for this, for whatever reason. This knife WILL discolor an onion without a reasonable patina on it. Don't be surprised, and don't be alarmed. Remember, there was a time when people were only using straight ductile iron for blades, and cookware. It's not going to kill you, but I do recommend forcing a patina. It will stop discoloring food eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 pm 

Excellent review Doug and glad your enjoying the knife!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:32 am 

knife sounds great and those photos were very nice. good job on the write up and great job on the photos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 am 

Just wanted to revisit this with some additional input. This little tanaka petty has become a real darling for me. I've stripped it of patina, and done a complete mirror polish on the blade, and I am allowing it to naturally patina with use now. The blue #2 is really good, it sharpens quickly, and it gets scary sharp real fast. The blade is so thin it just slips through just about anything you point it at. I sanded down the handle and the ferrule a little to lessen the "D" shape just a little bit. This is an ideal small task knife, from paring to slicing protein or veg, it just slips right through. This is my favourite knife for mincing garlic and shallots, I can really fly with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:26 am 

Just ordered one Doug. My only petty is the Tojiro ITK so I really wanted a nicer thin petty. Can't wait to try this bad boy out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:56 am 

The handle is nothing special, but I really love this knife. I like playing with patinas on it, because it's so quick and easy to do. I wound up polishing it up really brite 400-600-1000-1200-1500-3000 grit sandpaper, then 0000 steel wool, and it looks really nice. I like it as both a collectible and for use. I was a little squeamish about the iron cladding for a little bit, but now I think it's really pretty cool. I hope you like it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:03 am 

Ya, I'm looking forward to playing with it. I'm used to a reactive Iron by now with these ITK's. I stripped mine and polished and have been messing with patinas for a bit on them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:12 am 

Awesome review JourneymanDoug , I also own this knife but mine is 135 mm so far so good. I got a feeling i might have too replace this crappy handle, besides that it is worth every penny i payed for it . This Tanaka and Takamura R2 are my wife's best knives for now till i buy more.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next