It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Takeda thinning using Nubatama + Natural stones
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 am 
Forum Moderator

In this video I demonstrate thinning a Takeda Gyuto which the customer felt was too thick for his tastes. Another knife sharpener refused to do the procedure, feeling that he could not do it without messing up the finish. He felt the knife was too thick and should be returned to the maker or vendor who sold the knife to him. The customer asked if I could do something with his knife and this is the result..

When I received the knife, I found that the knife was in excellent condition as a new knife and would be more than adequate for most customer's tastes. It was a very well crafted knife. But the customer wanted it thinner.

So I proceeded to thin the knife using a series of 'finger stones', taking care not to mess up or damage the kuroichi finish, something the 'other' knife sharpener felt he was incapable of doing.

The stones used included some coarse Nubatama stones followed by some fairly soft stones. I started with some Nubatama synthetic stones 150, 220 pink, and 400 grit and then switched to Kyushu Ohmura coarse natural stone, 1200 Nubatama, Yaginoshima Asagi and finally Hideriyama. I stropped this final edge on Kangaroo leather.

As a test of it's performance, I sliced a piece of Ginger using a slice cut, using only the weight of the knife with no additional downward pressure. The final edge is an excellent combination of sharpness produced by this refined geometry from thinning the blade, a natural stone finish which imparts a finish having a degree of toothiness and refinement enhanced by the kangaroo leather to give effortless cutting performance.

If anyone is interested in these or other natural stones, please contact me at ksskss@earthlink.net

I get all of my natural stones from Tanaka Toishi. , I am the official representative of Tanaka Toishi .

The Takeda knife was purchased from Mark Richmond of Chefknivestogo.com

---
Ken

Post subject: Re: Takeda thinning using Nubatama + Natural stones
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 am 

Great job Ken! I'm sure he'll be pleased...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:56 am 

Now that is some mighty fine work Ken!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:32 am 

Nice job, Ken! Way to meet the customer's needs rather than just write it off as a 'return'!

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:22 pm 

Hopefully we can meet up soon this month :) I have a gyuto that I screwed up. It's semi sharp but needs the midas touch. Also have a Yanigiba from my boss that he wants fixed.

If I were to have you put a natural stone finish on my knife, would stropping it on a 5k be able to maintain that toothy edge?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Nice job Ken.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Umberto, send them my way to check them out.

If you use a 5k stone after I finish it on a natural stone, it will convert the finish to the 5k stone finish. So if the 5k stone were a Shapton, it would completely remove the natural stone finish. The 5k Nubatama would be less drastic, but really utilizing a natural like a Yaginoshimsa Asagi or a Hideriyama would be the way to go.

Mark and everyone else who responded to this thread - Thank you for the kind remarks. Coming from my 'sharpening peers', it means a lot to me.

That a certain 'sharpener' (no one on this board FWIW) refused to do the knife thinning on this knife due to a lack of skill on his part made this all the more interesting of a challenge.

I chose a fingerstone approach rather than using an EP or even a Gizmo (which I have and used to make). The Gizmo allows me to go down to zero degrees, but sometimes knives that are forged in the style of Takeda or Moritaka have high spots that might be hit at these acute angles, damaging the kuroichi finish. Using full sized stones and freehanding it almost guaranteed that thinning the edge would scratch up the kuroichi finish. Utilizing fingerstones was the answer for this task. Because the shape is irregular, softer stones were required along with initial coarser stones. So stones like the 150 220 and 400 Nubatama Bamboo stones did the heavy work of removing the finish and thinning above the edge. To get a uniform finish, the softer 1200 Bamboo and 2k Ume black stone - aka the Olive brick of joy - were perfect. I preceded these two stones with the NATURAL Kyushu Ohmura stone, which converted the scratch pattern of the coarser Nubatama stones to a natural stone finish. The 1200 Bamboo and 2k olive brick of joy maintained the finish contrast beautifully, allowing me to continue on to using the Yaginoshima Asagi and finally a Hideriyama fingerstone. A final stropping on Kangaroo left a natural stone style of edge but with a bit more refinement. The 1200, Ohmura, and 2k were perfect for producing a uniform finish, underscoring how well these Nubatama stones work with natural stones.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Here is Don's note to me today:

Hello Mark & Ken,

Just wanted to let you know that I've had a few days to play with the Takeda since Ken worked on it. I think it's great. It cuts like a champ.

Thanks and I'll buy from you again.

-Don

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 am 

I just got to see this, love your videos Ken, thanks for putting it up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am 

If I lived in the same continent as you, Ken, I would sent my Takeda for you to sharpen :D great expertise and knowledge !

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next