It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:02 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Takeda Quality Issues?!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 pm 

You should really try it before you buy it...Since you got an offer to do so I'd try it. One particular forum member absolutely hates the blade geometry of the Takeda. You might also dislike it, but you might love it. The only way is to try yourself.

If Takeda and Moritaka made knives with such awful grinds, I suspect they wouldn't be selling for upward of the 300$ on a good day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

I did a saya for a Moritaka and the grind was fine, no holes or anything, sharpened up very easily and to a beautiful edge. It was one of the Damascus ones. Very nice!

Takeda just doesn't resonate with me, either. I just don't like the profiles and then thin/flexy feel of the knife. My Tanaka R2 has the same feel, but I like the profile and for me, it works. Too tall and flexy and different edge profile, just not for me, sorry. Does this make the Takeda a bad knife? Nope, everyone has their likes/dislikes.

With the Takeda grind, I gotta wonder how much is in the forging process when they forge the hollows. Most of the thick knives I have seen look like they didn't have much concave area forged in them and that edge higher on the blade. This combined with a lower blade bevel can cause a thick knife. Maybe some of the people forging don't go as thin as Takeda himself does in the concave area, or as low to the edge. There are just so many explanations as to the variance. But the HT has always been excellent and the overall quality of the Takeda stuff, it's just the geometry (grind of the blade road and the concave/hollow portion above it) have seen some variations as of late. It seems some of the thicker ones aren't as tall as the thinner ones heightwise. I saw a yanagiba/suji choil shot that was thick, but that works just fine as a suji and some prefer that over a flexy laser suji.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm 

I have the large suji and like it. I don't like the looks of the profile on the gyuto's but to be fair I have never actually tried one. There is no mistaking the knives are special.

Here is an old post about knives with character. My reply is in here in regards to takeda. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4463

In regards to grind. Do I think you could get one that needs thinned out? Yes. They are truly hand made everyone is slightly different. I haven't examined enough of them to determine if this is a legitimate problem or not but I do know they are very well made knives with a lot of character. I would really like to try the Nakiri.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:21 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:Maybe I should put one of his knives on the forum sale so you can try it.

How about a pass around?! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 am 
Forum Moderator

post32098.html#p32098

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 am 

Jeff B wrote:
chefknivestogo wrote:Maybe I should put one of his knives on the forum sale so you can try it.

How about a pass around?! :)

^+1 to this. But if you do decide to put this on a forum sale, I'm down for one. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:06 pm 

"Maybe I should put one of his knives on the forum sale so you can try it."

"How about a pass around?!"

+1 to either/or

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:26 pm 

Excellent idea...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for taking care of it so quickly!

As you may have noticed, I also ordered the Takeda 270mm Gyuto Stainless (order xxxx77).

I've never handled a Takeda but they appear to me to be works of art, and also good for lefties. I was also impressed with the rave reviews.

Today however I came across a few unsettling threads/posts questioning Takeda's quality. Now I fully realize how unreliable online posts can be, and I read your responses and can imagine your frustration at what sounds in many cases like unfounded mud-slinging.

But I was hoping you might be able to characterize the thickness of the particular gyuto I bought, and provide some reassurance.

I also have a question about the stainless cladding. I read in one post that the Takeda stainless clad knives were "stickier" and I was hoping you could also share your insights on how Takeda's stainless cladding is in practice because I've read fewer reviews on this newer knife.

I wish I'd known to ask these questions earlier, but better late than...

Thank you in advance,
A.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Amanda,

Thanks so much for the questions.

Unfortunately I have a competitor who you mentioned who considers it a good business practice to make up lies about his competition (in this case Takeda but there are many more makers he does this to).

The best judge of Takeda's knives is you and the other customers who have purchased the knife and use it on a daily basis. Once you try the knife you'll understand. Takeda has been making knives longer than this competitor has been alive and started work under his father's instruction over 40 years ago. He supports a small blacksmith shop with 8 employees including his 2 daughters and his brother in law and a few trusted long time employees. My competitor is attempting to put my friend out of business with his attacks.

So, try the knife and let me know what you think. I can have any knife on the site and I own and use one and I think it's a great knife. If you don't agree I'll take it back no questions asked. I stand by his work 100%. Also, to answer your questions about the edge, its plenty thin and will perform really well. I do find the kurouchi finish is a little more consistent and smooth on his stainless knives so it does actually make food stick to the knife a little more. It's really no big deal and I don't consider the knife a "sticky" knife like some we sell, such as the Misono UX10 for example. Food sticks to every knife just some more than others.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
Chefknivestogo

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 4 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next