It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Takeda Quality Issues?!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:31 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5233&hilit=takeda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:00 pm 

The old Takeda's I tried were nice. Don't know anything about the new ones, except what's been covered lately on all the knife forums.

I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that it may be due to expanding his crew and offloading work to apprentices. You'd think for quality control purposes
he'd be checking the odd knife on the finish rack to be sure he's maintaining the original standards that made people like his knives.

I still like the unique profile/geometry of his Nakiri's tho.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

I recommend you try one. If you don't like it I'll give you a full refund and I'll pay for the return shipping. Then you can find out for yourself if it's a good knife.

I'm sure you don't know the source you posted to but cry baby is about the most polite term I could use to describe him.

Also, Shosui will be happy to talk to you about his knives. Email him. If you can't find his email pm me and I'll put you in touch with him. He's a good guy and he's a great blacksmith. Or, check the reviews on our site and you can see what actual owners of his knives think about them. The newest purchasers are at the bottom.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

desol wrote:The old Takeda's I tried were nice. Don't know anything about the new ones, except what's been covered lately on all the knife forums.

I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that it may be due to expanding his crew and offloading work to apprentices. You'd think for quality control purposes
he'd be checking the odd knife on the finish rack to be sure he's maintaining the original standards that made people like his knives.

I still like the unique profile/geometry of his Nakiri's tho.

Expanding his crew? His newest employee has 8 years experience. His oldest employee has 50 and started when he was 5 years old working for his father.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:20 pm 

We'll, either it's a conscious decision to change something, or quality control is suffering....or, it's all in people's minds.

I haven't read about any issues with Takeda's, other than recently. I have seen a picture of and old vs new grind...same knife...and they were fairly different.

The ones I tried way back seemed great. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ever since I started selling them about 4-5 years ago there have been people that love them or hate them. The thing I object to is having a direct competitor and someone that calls himself a knife maker bad mouth him. Pretty low class if you ask me.

I had a customer buy a Takeda recently and then for some inexplicable reason sent it to cry baby for finish sharpening (they don't need it but whatever). He told him that the knife was defective and he couldn't sharpen it and to return it. I suggested he send the knife to Ken Schwartz to check it out and sharpen it if he thought it was ok. There of course was nothing wrong with the knife and the guy was thrilled with the knife and the sharpening job.

I've had this same experience with about a half dozen customers for a variety of knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:21 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:The thing I object to is having a direct competitor and someone that calls himself a knife maker bad mouth him. Pretty low class if you ask me.

The sad thing about the internet; the blind leading the blind. People going off without having all the facts.

Here's another thread from a guy with two same said knives: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showt ... c-heavy%29

The bottom choil shot is the one I'm familiar with, I remember seeing it on the knife I tried; not so abrupt, but more gradually convex to the apex.
Either way, it seems each Takeda is fairly different to one another, which is something that I LIKED about his work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:17 am 

Ken really did a fantastic, more like unbelievable, job on that blade.

The grinds are reported to be a bit thick on some of the recent product. No big deal to take care of the issue if there is one. Just some time and expertise. I'm probably going to order one up this year just to see for myself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:03 am 

FWIW, and I do not speak Mel fluently, but I speculate that he is abstaining because Takedas do not appeal to him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Pete and Mark, thanks for the kind comments about the sharpening job I did on this knife. Here's the video I did - a quick cutting demo using the weight of the blade to slice through some ginger and a series of before and after shots.

Seems odd - almost silly, that someone who declares himself a master of Japanese Knife Sharpening was incapable of sharpening this knife. I did it, Takeda redid it on some other knives that were returned. So that makes Dave just a bad critic and a poor appraiser and not much of a sharpener.

I've made a couple of knives and done a couple of handles, some prettier that what I've seen of his work. And more tasteful. That he can grind out a knife from a blank and slap a handle on it. I've done that too. I just don't call myself a knifemaker. If you want to see knifemakers with far more talent just look around here.

FORGED knives are a whole different level of skill than stock removal knives. I've tried my hand at forging a blade. I suck at it. I could get better at it but that's a whole different level of skill than what DM does. For a paranoid asshole (and that's a far kinder description than what I really think of him) like Martell to set himself up as a critic of forged knives - Takeda, Moritaka, etc is laughable. He's done this crap to Moritaka too, blaming them for a knife HE f'ked up. That he throws crap at Mark and I and any other number of people he collectively refers to as Mark's shills in his 'forum and 'fora' of hate, stocked with morons who can't even spell or converse with proper sentences is even more pitiful. It is a forum of morons who spend their time ridiculing others and for some strange reason following Dave like little children following a pied piper.

I really can't think of a single individual who has had a more destructive influence on the knife community than him. But like a chronic skin condition, he's here to stay so you just have to get used to scratching that itch every once in a while when it flares up.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next