It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takayuki Damascus Steel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 am 

Hello everyone,

I was looking at the Sakai Takayuki knives and went across the Damascus, which is stated to have an AEB-L core ... But ever other places seems to ignore which steel is used. Is that an assumption based on the grand chef ? Is that because they made different "45 layers damascus wa-gyuto" ... The others damascus from Takayuki (17 and 33 layers, from their words) are stated to use VG-10...

I would greatly appreciate the answer !

Speaking of Takayuki ... How would you compare the damascus to the (wa)Grand Chef ? Worth the price ? Even if the damascus would really made of AEB-L ?

Thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: Takayuki Damascus Steel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:29 am 

You'll have to be more specific about which Sakai Takayuki knives your referring to. Some are VG-10, some AEB-L, some Ginsan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:43 am 

It's often useful to post a link to the knife.
And Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 am 

I believe the knife in question is linked, on the word Damascus. I am not aware of any doubt that that knife is AEB-L, but I obviously cannot say for sure. Takayuki makes a number of lines, but I would generally trust CKTG's information on steel used.

For reference, the whole line is listed as Damasco Svedesi or "Swedish", here http://www.sakaitakayuki.com/prodotti/c ... edesi.html. The western-handled ones seem to be predominantly VG-10, while the wa-handled are AEB-L or Ginsan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:24 am 

Ahh, apologies , couldn't see the light blue URL link on the iPad , also chosen to embed the link in the words, which not many do here.

Sharp!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Pitts, that Takayuki is thin, the the Wa Grand Chef 240 is thinner. It's one of the very thinnest Gyutos on the CKTG site. It's thinner than even the Kono HD 240. Tested side by side, my Kono HD 240 Funy/Gyuto went through product better than the Wa Grand Chef, just FYI.

I you're going to pay for the Wa Grand Chef, I'd personally step up a bit and get the Konosuke HH 240 Gyuto. Mark happens to have one available w/o a handle: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohhstgy24no.html. I'd see if he can handle it for you and sell it at the price of the one that's OOS on the product page. You'll get a better knife and a much nicer handle to boot.

The Takayuki AEB-L Damascus is a good knife in it's own right. It's pretty light (not like the other two), and pretty thin (not like the other two) and a good performer. It's really a looker in person as well. Handle is decent, but nothing fancy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:04 pm 

SteveG wrote:I you're going to pay for the Wa Grand Chef, I'd personally step up a bit and get the Konosuke HH 240 Gyuto.

I am of the belief that the Wa Grand Cheff is obselete technology. There are many quality lasers for not too more money out there. The Richmond AEBL laser (OOS however) for instance, or any of the Konosuke lasers, as Steve previously recommended.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 am 

Hey, thanks everyone for that quick, yet informative answers.

I was curious about that particular knife, not that I'm looking only damascus blades but it looked like a good bargain. I have to say that I knew that comparison with the Kono were to come ;)

I understand that's one of the best (laser) knife at its price range... But I was trying to restrain my self ! That idea you (SteveG) told about that w/o handle kono could really change my mind hehe.

I'll post a new topic tomorrow for a recommendation before buying ... I just realized how much I had to add to the price to import it to canada. I Think it would be smarter to continue on a new topic (even though there should be a lot of those threads already lol).

Anyway thanks, the knowledge in this forum is awesome.

-Pitts

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]