It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Taco Night
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:20 am 

A pair of soft tacos tonight. The first was a marinated mahi taco. Fresh cabbage and carrots, mayo, lemon juice, sriracha, and rice wine vinegar went into a light slaw. Filled and topped with pico done the usual way. They were quite good and I only wish I had a food truck so I could sell thousands of them. The second was a marinated sauteed chicken taco. Sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic, and a pan sauce from the chicken. All of the cabbage and tomato meant I got to use my newly beloved Konosuke nakiri in a nice, quiet environment for once!

Post subject: Re: Taco Night
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Those look really lovely - ingredients are great.

My son normally makes tacos for his friends.....then I just make some disappear....

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm 

Tacos look great Lepus, the ingredients in the tacos also sound very good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:43 pm 

Look delicious. A food truck sounds like an excellent idea.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:59 am 

Nice work...I'm pretty spoiled with a mom and pop tortilla shop down the street. I'll have to post some photos of my taco work. Good luck with the food truck...a fully reconditioned food truck is pretty expensive. But if you are up for the challenge there are plenty of trucks out there for DIY work.

You should try making tortillas from scratch. It's not that hard to do and they are way better. I'd do it more often but we have a machine made tortilla factory down the street that makes them so fresh that the difference between my homemade is hardly noticeable.

Are you anti cilantro?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 am 

As far as food trucks go, I really might do one eventually. Who knows? I doubt I'd do tacos, maybe bahn mi. Pho. Vietnam has the best food truck offerings.

MadRookie: I bet you do. I can make some tacos disappear pretty fast. A local place has a deep fried fish taco with a really simple slaw and a spiced mayo... I've eaten four at once and could certainly manage more. Love the little things.

Umberto: I double down with cilantro in pico. Very little of the green you see is jalapeno pepper. I spiked my fish taco, too. As for tortillas, I've made them a few times, both in corn and wheat, both with a tortilla press and hand rolled. If I'm going to put that sort of effort in at home, I'm getting fresh pasta out of the deal. Neither is hard, per se, but it is a production. I keep store bought wraps and bread around for quick bites and every now and then they sneak into some otherwise home cooked meals.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:11 am 

The mahi taco's would stand no chance. You would have had to make 50. I would have at those things like potato chips.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]