first time poster here, but I've been browsing the website for quite a while now. I recently got into the industry and I've been using the standard German knife brands you can find in most kitchens, like Victorinox. Seeing all the reviews the Japanese manufacturers are getting I'm seriously considering trying out a Japanese knife. Now, the problem is, where I'm from, the standards are sh*t to say the least and it would take me a while to save up and buy me something like a Konosuke. Also considering I've never even seen a Japanese knife, let alone tried one, I was thinking something a bit cheaper (or a lot cheaper) would be a nice way to go. If I'm not breaking any rules here, I would also like to ask for advice on sharpening stones and a steel that would go well with whatever knife you're recommending.
1. Are you right handed? Yes.
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto.
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? I have no idea, but I'm fairly anal about looking after my stuff, so carbon might be ok?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? No preference, but I like the look of Japanese handles.
6. How much did you want to spend? $150? If you can find something cheaper, I would be grateful.
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Does using an electric sharpener count?
Thank you all in advance.