Switch to full style
We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Post a reply


Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:09 am


I asked a question about this before, but I'd like to be sure I order the right knife before I send $350 over the Atlantic Ocean :-).

I am looking for a thin slicer. Now I'm considering a Moritaka or Takeda knife which are both called yanagiba.

However, people describe these knives as thin knives with a 50/50 bevel. That sounds like a sujihiki, not a yanagiba.

Were these knives accidentally labelled yanagiba? Or are they similar to a yanagiba in other ways?


Re: Sujihiki/yanagiba

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 am

From past readings, I believe that they are called double bevel yanagiba, AKA a Sujihiki. It's just the way they label them I guess, which throws many people off. They see Yanagiba and assume single bevel, hollow back, and then find they are basically a Sujihiki.

The other Mark will be able to clarify this for certain.

Re: Sujihiki/yanagiba

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 am

Without a direct link to the products you're looking to buy, this is somewhat of an assumption.

However, I don't believe that CKTG carries a true yanagi from either Moritaka or Takeda (my assumption....one could be hiding on the website somewhere that I just don't see).

All of them that I see are in fact double beveled (what we would call a Sujihiki).
Post a reply