It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sujihiki
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:49 pm 

I think the main question we all have regarding size, is how versatile are you wanting it to be? You say you want to use it to slice meat but also for onion. Jeff is correct here 270-300 is what you want for slicing, but not for onion.

My thought process....for versatility, 240 would be a good length. But then, it's on the short side for slicing some of your larger cuts or primals. At this point you might think why am I not just using one of my gyuto's.

A 300 length would be good for slicing. However, it is a pretty big knife , not quite as nimble, especially if you are going to use the tip for anything, like getting under sliverskin or the like. Somewhat awkward for some things IMO .

A. 270 length is a good compromise. It is long enough for slicing, yet short enough to be manageable at other tasks. In the end , the length you choose is your decision , you know how you are going to use it and what your comfortable with . I have the takeda 275 and haven't thought it was too short yet . There have been a few times though I thought it was too long. Here is a pic of it slicing New York strips for size reference. (Push cutting here)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:10 am 

For me the debate is not the best length it's the best knife for the job. If I want a slicer I'm getting a suji regardless of length but I'm puttiing it down when I grab an onion. That's the job of a gyuto. If I have to use one knife for slicing meat and chopping an onion it going to be a gyuto not a suji. The gyuto is more versatile if you want to use one knife for more than one job.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:47 am 

+1 Jeff B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:47 am 

:?

Ok...so...

I know I need a slicer. I do briskets, pork tenderloin, prime rib, and beef tenderloin as roast often enough to miss having a real slicer.

I also break down hunk of beef and pork as steaks/chops occasionally. And though we don't do an awful lot of fish, I usually purchase larger fillets and portion them down at home. So I would also love to be able to remove silverskin and excess fat as part of trimming.

As far as the onion thing, I am thinking of prepping a roast and breaking down a few aromatics to throw in a roasting pan with a piece of beast. I don't need it to do general prep, just enough so I don't need to dirty a gyuto to put together a roast pan.

So maybe I:
1) Get a 270mm as somewhat general purpose
2) Get a 300mm, stop being a wuss and get out and wash a Gyuto too
3) Get a 300mm and a petty. The disadvantage is it kills the budget. The advantage is...another knife :D

I think I am leaning option 2 or 3. I think I want a real slicer...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

CEDAR <> As consensus dictates, Suji is you're go to. 270 is plenty for all the cuts you reference though a 300 can be nice for your prime ribs.

I do not trim silverskin with long knives; rather, I typically use a boning knife.

Since you raise the possibility of raising the budget, I will proffer one idea. This will not be totally reactive, it will not be rustic, but it will be very versatile. Bear in mind, Gyuto translates to "cow knife", and a Funayuki, albeit a "boat knife" by translation, is basically a more nimble gyuto.

KONOSUKE HD 285<--link

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:13 pm 

I have a Tojiro 240, and a Gesshin Ginga 300.

I like both, and use the Tojiro a lot.

The Gesshin Ginga is for more "ceremonial" occasions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:07 pm 

Cedar, make a decision on length and get your slicer, it's obvious you want one, and also use it for your aromatics as you say. You my have absolutely no problems doing things the way your thinking. You can always get out the gyuto later if you need it. Depending on the meal I might have one knife out, I might have three.
I'm just adding to the conversation to provoke thought, that doesn't make my preferences best for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:39 pm 

Mel, Thanks for throwing that wrench in there :D. That's an interesting thought. I understood part of the advantage of a Suji was the smaller surface area in profile keeping drag down. Would something like this be a significant compromise as a slicer.

Jeff, I know...I know...time to s**t or get off the pot :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:51 pm 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

CEDAR <> As I began my text, the Suji is your go-to. A Suji is most appropriate for slicing duties, and yes due to it shallow height.

That said, as interested as you are, you don't really seem that interested so I threw a curve SPECIFICALLY for the change-up. When you mentioned utilizing the knife in alternate capacities, albeit not many, and then mention wanting more than a 270 & seemingly intimidated by 300, I thought about the Ultimatum's highly tapered 285mm blade. It is not a Sujihiki; it is a Funayuki. A Suji will slice more easily, but the Ultimatum will slice easily, as well. Remember, it is a laser, and is not only very light in hand but nimble in its travel. This is a light knife; we're talking 170 grams! I argue the Ultimatum will, in fact, portion large cuts true like Rib-eyes & NY Strips more easily than a Suji as the shallower height knife will be more apt to steer... at least easier to steer off course. Yes, the height provides more drag, but the knife will track true more easily... less apt to rotate on its axis. The Ultimatum simply opens you up to a more versatile knife that you can use as a Gyuto if you choose to... as, in fact, it is one. It's not going to be suited to trimming silverskin off tenderloins, but neither is a 270mm suji, to be quite honest.

It is not a slicer, nor am I claiming it be, but it slices VERY WELL. Just a different idea allowing different possibilities. The Gyuto/Funayuki is the all around kitchen knife for a reason, it does everything. Yes, a Suji IS more task specific to this application, but like I said, "Just a different idea allowing different possibilities."

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next